Demon V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael, Awesome work and thank you for posting the setups and details.

Have you considered using a dab of lapping compound to deburr the gear set?

I made a full set for this engine out of brass and they held up okay. I had to pin the bevel gear to the distributor shaft though, as the tiny set screw would slip while running even with Loctite. My water pump gears didn't come out too well.

Cheers!

Michael, Awesome work and thank you for posting the setups and details.

Have you considered using a dab of lapping compound to deburr the gear set?

I made a full set for this engine out of brass and they held up okay. I had to pin the bevel gear to the distributor shaft though, as the tiny set screw would slip while running even with Loctite. My water pump gears didn't come out too well.

Cheers!
HI raveney
I did think of putting some past on the gears and see if it smooths them out, they don't need much

I'm thinking there is something like 1/2º of backlash in my 4th axis, its never shown up in anything else I have done in the 4th but gears might be a bit different
I Like your Demon the bell housing looks good too with the extra ribs on it

Slowly getting back to the Demon V8
made a start on the block, first I squared up the block of aluminium, then machined it to the correct size

Next was to drill the 1/8” holes that pass through to the Water jackets around the cylinders,
these holes have to be drilled from both sides because the drill is not long enough to reach all the way through
I first used a normal length drill, drilling all the way to the length of the flutes, the swapping to the longer drill
Using the shorter drill first gives a nice long pilot hole for the longer drill to follo the block was the flipped over and drilled to join up with the other holes
Drilling the second side only required the short drill

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg
IMG_1297.jpegIMG_1298.jpegIMG_1303.jpegIMG_1305.jpeg

Latest posts

Back