Demon V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to have a go at making a mould to make silicone caps for the spark plugs
Didn't turn out to bad

IMG_1439Plug Cap.jpeg IMG_1440Plug Cap.jpegIMG_1441Plug Cap.jpeg IMG_1442Plug Cap.jpeg

Last edited:
How do you support the core?
Personally, I think I would have tried to support the HT wire and connector so they are cast-in.... and probably got it wrong? But I am interested to know your process?
K2

Here are some pics of how the mould works, basically It is how car builder has explained
The 2 halve of the mould are filled and screwed together and the end plates screw to the sides to form the holes

I sure the end plates on to one side first then fill with silicone, put the two halve of the mould together and then screw it all up tight.

IMG_1457.jpeg IMG_1458.jpegIMG_1459.jpeg IMG_1460.jpegIMG_1461.jpeg IMG_1463.jpeg

This a link for the drawings. View attachment Boot_Mold.zip

For anyone interested - a link to a tutorial I did some time back on moulding using vacuum and pressure.

Injection / Vacuum Moulding in Polyurethane

When moulding silicone in aluminium moulds be sure you use the correct release agent - I have a mould with a permanently moulded silicone part which I have never been able to recover.

Regards, Ken

For anyone interested - a link to a tutorial I did some time back on moulding using vacuum and pressure.

Injection / Vacuum Moulding in Polyurethane

When moulding silicone in aluminium moulds be sure you use the correct release agent - I have a mould with a permanently moulded silicone part which I have never been able to recover.

Regards, Ken

The silicone that I’m using is soft and flexible, just falls out of the mould, never looks like sticking
Not sure if it’s the best for what I’m using it for, it is heat resistant
Maybe there is something better, this is the first time I have tried to make spark plug boots

I use a 2 part rubber compound that works well and is very durable black in color. I found the stuff on ebay.

Also made distributor boots with the stuff also.

doc 1955 would you mind sharing a pic of the container for the black silicone you are using ? Any numbers on the can ? Thank you sir.

doc 1955 would you mind sharing a pic of the container for the black silicone you are using ? Any numbers on the can ? Thank you sir.
It is not silicone it is rubber got it off of ebay from a seller Erope it is a 2 part rubber.

Attachments

• 20220430_183515.jpg
    20220430_183515.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220430_183536.jpg
    20220430_183536.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Back