DEMON V8 CAMSHAFT

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe J DiMarino

Reaction score
Demon v8 Camshaft question .I have a few questions. If I make my cam according to the machining chart in the drawings and use the offset turning fixture. The degree wheel will be mounted to the end of the camshaft that the distributor gear presses onto, the cylinder 8 end. So, number one cam lobe will be close to the chuck and 8 at the tail stock ? Am I supposed to rotate the blank away from me clockwise when advancing the 5 degree incrments ? Looking from the tail stock end? Thank you guys great forum .

Can the degree wheel be mounted on the head-stock side ? I think my cam is F-BAR . I mounted the degree wheel on the head stock side , number 1 lobe cut as the lobe on the left side and have been rotating cam blank clockwise .

I suppose you can. I don't understand how the wheel would be mounted to the fixture so it can be read easily or how you attached the pointer. The wheel would need to be mounted so it faced to the right. If it is facing left you would probably need to print up a counter clock wise wheel. You can also reduce the size of the wheel if that makes things fit better. Is there a reason why you couldn't mount it where the drawing showed?

I cut the cam on a surface between centers . My diamound is mounted on the tail stock side. I used the degree that was clockwise rotation being the positive direction . once I got half way thru . Realiized Lobe 1 should of been on the tail stock side . I think my lobes are back works . Think this cam is scrap ..What a bummer.

Perhaps this helps. Steve's chart was brilliant. Very enjoyable part to make, but meticulous attention to detail is required because I had to machine one half at a time swapping tool post for each half. 20210906_172001.jpg20210910_183920.jpg20210911_131654.jpg20210912_120257.jpg

My lathe is pretty rigid so I made a smaller degree wheel and hung the tool way out and was able to machine the entire shaft at one time. I think it took me about 4 or 5 hours to machine the entire thing. I made 2.

This is how I've been doing it , this time I have number 1 on the tail stock end . Got it backwards the first time . So could the cam be used in a motor that runs counter clock wise ?

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 109
ALWAYS, before you start grinding, paint on your cam blank where the lobes go, that way you can check before you start grinding that you are indexing in the correct direction. This really saved me on my Merlin cam shafts each of which has 24 lobes !!!

Latest posts

Back