Definite Blunder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Accidents can happen in the most unexpected places.
I once worked with a chap who only had three fingers on his left hand, the hand appeared quite normal and there were no obvious injuries, it was just a three-fingered hand,
However, one day at 'smoko' he told me what had happened.

He was a storeman in a very large warehouse and they had a mile or more of small steel bins/shelving going up high enough to require ladders to reach the top ones.
He said that he was up a ladder and fell. he put out his left hand to catch hold of a bin front and his wedding ring caught on a bolt that was sticking out, his full weight went onto the finger and it ripped out right back to the wrist; hence the neat appearance!!

He said that when the insurance people inspected the shelving/bins there was only one bolt (his) that was put in wrong and had the thread sticking out and that there were over a million bolts.

Thanks for the suggestion on the chuck key interlock. I teach kids to run lathes and mills so having one more method to keep them safe is always appreciated.

A good friend of mine lost her finger in a similar way. She was jumping down from the bed of a truck when her wedding ring caught on the stock rack of the truck.

Latest posts

Back