December Project of the Month

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, I just found the page that explains the "Project of the Month" so thank you.
Ken thank you for sharing your fine work. Now I will try to find where the thread on how to make it. Cheers, Today

Kudos. Even the photography is nice. Looks good up there on the header.

Congrats Ken, a beauty little beam. Well done.
I am gonna build a beam one day
Brock

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

I fell off my perch when I found out - I did not expect this from my rehashed version of Gerry Dykstra's design (aka Oldboatguy).

Especially so after the most recent string of winners and some of the other works in progress and finished work that has appeared on this forum :bow: :bow:.

Thanks to everyone for all that I have gleaned and learned from this forum.

Regards,
Ken

Nice work Ken and congratulations on a job well done.

As nothing promotes success like success ;) good luck with whatever's next, I'm sure you'll be itching to get started

Regards - Ramon

Beautiful job Ken,
You have done precisely what I had hoped for when I designed the engine and posted the drawings way back when! Thank you for doing such a beautiful job of it. I really appreciate that you actually made real capped bearings for the main journals. There have been other builds that shortcutted that bit.
When I originally posted the drawings, it was a design only and had never been proven to run. There have now been several builds which ran quite well. I always like to see builds of this engine but you have really scored! Wow!

Gerry
aka Oldboatguy

Gerry,
Thanks for chipping in - I have always given you credit for the design - it is in fact what got me started.

Your posting of public domain plans also prompted me to do the same with subsequent designs.

I made each of those damn little M2 hex bolts by hand - but I felt it just would be a disservice to the model to use cap screws - ditto the capped bearings.

I did take a few liberties here and there - some of which (with hindsight) I might not do again - such as the eccentric portion of the cylinder for the steam chest and the ommission of wooden lagging for the cylinder.

Once again a huge thank you.

Ken

Ken Great job. Very good looking beam engine. larry

The Dec Project of the Month is beautiful. Are plans available? I'm new member so bear with me for ignorant questions.

Blackfoxsteam - plans are available under the download section - Gerry's original in imperial dimensions as a *.pdf and my metric version in 2D autocad.

Ken

oldboatguy said:
Beautiful job Ken,
You have done precisely what I had hoped for when I designed the engine and posted the drawings way back when! Thank you for doing such a beautiful job of it. I really appreciate that you actually made real capped bearings for the main journals. There have been other builds that shortcutted that bit.
When I originally posted the drawings, it was a design only and had never been proven to run. There have now been several builds which ran quite well. I always like to see builds of this engine but you have really scored! Wow!

Gerry
aka Oldboatguy

Gerry - I don't know if you've seen this or this is your doing, but your plans are for sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beam-Steam-Engine-Plans-/320809365166?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4ab1ba6eae

Thought you'd want to know in case this is not you who put them on eBay.

Mike

I have been looking at the little beam engine in the spotlight for a few weeks now, and I have to say at, least for my taste, it's one of the cutest designs I've seen spotlighted for a while.
Excellent build!

I had another thought about it too. For the steam fans out there who want to do a bit of design, has anyone thought of taking this design and converting it to a Corliss valve engine?
It would be a bit more challenging to build but would add more action.

Comments?

maury
www.lonestarengineworks.com

Back