Decauville

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imation

Reaction score
Hi All
After building a teardrop camper and taking a couple of months off to explore oz, I'm back in the workshop, I will be attempting to build a 45mm gauge Decauville. I have amassed some materials and shouted myself some new tooling so it's off to the shed, cold beer in hand, this is the life.

Regards
Mike.

DSC01957copy.jpg

DSC02500copy.jpg

DSC02526copy.jpg

DSC02527copy.jpg

DSC02529copy.jpg

DSC02532copy.jpg

You're of to a nice start by the looks of it.
I have started this build some time ago as a project for my students whenever they feel like building a part and aquire new skills.
It's a nice detailled and very doable steam engine (at least untill this far in our build).

How did you manufacture the wheels, do i see a holding fixture next to it?

Hello Mike,
Here's a very nice one in Ga1 (live steam), made by a fellow in France. Once upon a time he offered lost-wax castings for all the detail parts. I can try to find his contact information if you like. I like the use of hot-rolled steel plate for frames. It's my favorite plate material. Folks over here sometimes think they must overkill the frame material, as in, use ground gauge plate. Hot-rolled plate is more than sufficient, and cheap.

Decauville6.jpg

Last edited:
You're of to a nice start by the looks of it.
I have started this build some time ago as a project for my students whenever they feel like building a part and aquire new skills.
It's a nice detailled and very doable steam engine (at least untill this far in our build).

How did you manufacture the wheels, do i see a holding fixture next to it?

Hi
That is indeed a jig to hold the blank dead flat.
The wheels started life as a piece of cast iron round, faced one side then placed in the jig. the rotary table was then used.
Another jig will be used to drill the crankpin holes exactly the same distance from the centre.
Cheers Mike.

Hi
Finished about ten years ago!!!
I would be curious to see some pictures of the machine. Changing my mind back and forth between "way to difficult" for me and "I can do it".

The boiler seems to be the most difficult hurdle.
I expect quite some detours, making tools or work out how to do things. (the way is the destination?)

I would be curious to see some pictures of the machine.

I decided to just try to work my way through the parts list, very slowly.

Is the wheel suspension really working? Those springs seem to be relatively tiny.

Cheers Timo

Back