dead LCD monitor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Gents,
I have an Acer 19 LCD monitor on my computer. While using it yesterday the screen went black. I pushed the on/off button and it came back on for 2 seconds and then it went black again. This time the power LED wasn't even lit. I substituted my other monitor and everything was fine so it wasn't a power or computer problem.
I went online and typed in 'LCD monitor repair and got quite a few answers. Some seem to think it's as simple as replacing a couple of capacitors while others recommend replacing the power supply.
Has anyone had any experience with this situation? I know a new monitor can be purchased quite reasonably but I really like this one as it is a square format, not widescreen.
Thanks,
gbritnell

George,

I have just repaired a 24" LG widescreen that refused to power up. Four bulging capacitors on the power supply were the root cause. A few minutes with a soldering iron and the monitor was back in operation. Look for a service manual on-line to help with the dis-assembly of the monitor.

Cheers,

Adrian

gbritnell said:
Gents,
I have an Acer 19 LCD monitor on my computer. While using it yesterday the screen went black. I pushed the on/off button and it came back on for 2 seconds and then it went black again. This time the power LED wasn't even lit. I substituted my other monitor and everything was fine so it wasn't a power or computer problem.
I went online and typed in 'LCD monitor repair and got quite a few answers. Some seem to think it's as simple as replacing a couple of capacitors while others recommend replacing the power supply.
Has anyone had any experience with this situation? I know a new monitor can be purchased quite reasonably but I really like this one as it is a square format, not widescreen.
Thanks,
gbritnell

I know its an old post. But have fixed your monitor or still have it? I have fixed 4 of my monitors. Your problem is 99% chance it is a capacitor problem in the Back light inverter. If you hold a flash light up to your screen while it is on you should see whatever is on the screen. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Dennis L.

I may be up agains a similar issue . I just picked up a cheap used monitor from a non profit. It had a 7 day return waranty. And the outlet is an hour and a half drive or so. my monitor is a veiwsonic. and it is acting jumpy . I and thinking look for cold solder joints on the analog output as well as looking for bulging caps.
Tin

Hi Tim,
That would be a good place to start. What is it doing exactly?

Regards,
Dennis

intermittent vertical hold not holding.
did it on my lap top. then had it on the main desktop for a few days then started acting up again. different machines different cable. my wife turned it off then it would blip but not show a picture. then would work after multiple power up attempts.still a bit jumpy
Tin

Tinfalcon this is just a shot, but if you ae having vertical problems on serval machines it could be coming from the power company. Most monitors sync there vertical to the line input 60 HZ. Your TV would also be affected. Like I said just shot?

Regards Don

I have had problems with "flickering" just before one of the inverters went out. I don't know why. I look for bad caps and hope for the best.

worst case scenario a "donation" to the nonprofit I bought the monitor from. I was hoping to have it for my alribe drawing. we will see.
Tin

Latest posts

Back