DC Machines - You have to love em.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllThumbs

Reaction score
OK, since I am all wound up (pun intended) about my solenoid engine running, I want to build another electric machine. I am thinking a regular DC motor with wound armature and field coils. The plan is an open design so all the whirly parts can be seen. As I mentioned in the solenoid post, I teach the electrical trade at a local college, including DC motors, and magnetism (among many other topics). I thought an open design DC motor would be another great teaching aid.

I will do some solid modeling and post what I have, when I have it.

Here is a picture to get things started:

200px-Electric_motor_cycle_2.png

Of course, the picture above shows a DC motor with permanent magnets, but you get the idea.

E

I have been playing with one for the last few weeks. I think the trick is in the brushes. I used brass sheet bent 90 degrees to rub the commutator(sp?). It caused to much friction but I couldn't get my wire brushes to work well either. I unboxed an angle grinder i bought a couple months ago and it had two replacement brushes in it :wall:
If I had found them sooner I would of tried it. I found a link with some really good info on building brushless motors. I would also like to do one of those.
Check out these links.
http://www.royuk.co.uk/electric_motors.htm
http://www.solcon.nl/gjkool/brushlessE5.html
I had one more link but can't find it, when I do I'll post it.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Tim

I would like to see your motor if you have a pic.

Moderator, is this an appropriate subject for this forum? It's not a model engine. If you would like, just move the whole thread to the break room. It's up to you.

E

Thumbs
Gave you seen these?.. We've been making them since 1932, AC or DC at various times, as well as the rare AC/DC combo version. Today they are all made as AC generators. There we go... now it's officially about models....LOL

Jensen Model #15 Miniature Generator

Steve

AllThumbs said:
Moderator, is this an appropriate subject for this forum? It's not a model engine. If you would like, just move the whole thread to the break room. It's up to you.

E

I think you are fine right here for now. It looks to me as if you are planning/designing a new electric engine right? I am pretty sure that counts as a model engine. If it is just pondering about it, I can move it for you.

Eric

AllThumbs said:
OK, since I am all wound up (pun intended) about my solenoid engine running, I want to build another electric machine. I am thinking a regular DC motor with wound armature and field coils. The plan is an open design so all the whirly parts can be seen.

I plan on building it. I will start soon. Just needed to put the VFD on my lathe first.

Eric

Hi

A couple of years ago I was keen to learn about electro magnets. Not wishing to just make an electro magnet for the sake of it I decided to incorporate 2 in a simple engine. It's built mainly from odds and ends and scrap box bits but runs reasonably well. Once I had it running I cleaned it up a bit and mounted it on a polished wood base. Its amusing to watch it run, see what you think. Unfortunately when I took this video the battery didn't have a lot of charge in it so the engine slows down a lot towards the end.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5l17kaiQkQ[/ame]

Cheers

Hi Firebird,
Neat engine. I'm thinking of building something similar to your rocking motor as my next project. Would you share a little info regarding wire size you used on the electromagnets? voltage? Etc. I want to wind my own, but would like to have some kind of starting point.
Thanks,
Dennis

Slightly off your DC topic, can you tell me about the IC engine in your picture? Or point me towards the info? Mike

Back