DavidBC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi BaronJ,

I just had a look on their site and they only have 20 deg pressure angle, the myford gear is 14.5 deg. Contacted RDG and they emailed back that it could be weeks or even months before they have any. Hoping someone on the forum may know of a pre owned one that the owner no longer has use for and could assist me in acquiring it. It appears my only chance of finding one is going to be in the UK. Will start looking on the net and see if I can find some phone numbers as I can ring the UK free. Looking at this stage I may have to make one myself but first I will have to devise a means of indexing the 21 divisions as I do not have a dividing head. Wasn't a good day weather wise here today so I made a compilation of tables. I hope you don't mind as I have included the one you sent me. I am going to laminate a copy and leave it near the lathe for reference. Not knowing if you can open excel speadsheets I also saved it as an adobe file, I will attach the 2 files for you. The site won't let me put the excel file on. Looks like my bad day is not getting any better.

Regards
David

Hi David,

I'm not in the least surprised by the response that you got ! Very much par for the course.

View attachment 119208
This is the chart I have, I hope it helps
Hi BaronJ
I found this chart, I don't know if you have it but in case you don't I am forwarding it to you for your reference.

Regards
David
Hi David,

I'm not in the least surprised by the response that you got ! Very much par for the course.

View attachment 119208
This is the chart I have, I hope it helps
Hi BaronJ,
Found this chart, I don't know if you have it or not but I am sending it to you for your reference.

Regards
David

Attachments

• Metric.jpg
    Metric.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 170
I've probably got 2 SETS of the multiples of 5 and 21's and a homemake 63T but as I said, I need the suggested gears instead. Again, I want a part set of SIEG C4 gears.

I want to be able to screwcut metric on my Imperial Myford box.

Neither of us are winning?

Best of Luck

Norman

I've probably got 2 SETS of the multiples of 5 and 21's and a homemake 63T but as I said, I need the suggested gears instead. Again, I want a part set of SIEG C4 gears.

I want to be able to screwcut metric on my Imperial Myford box.

Neither of us are winning?

Best of Luck

Norman

You could try these in Australia for SIEG C4 gears.
SIEG SC4 / 510 HiTorque Lathe
www.machines4u.com.au

New Sieg C4 Bench Top Lathes in DANDENONG, VIC <299808>
Buy New Sieg C4 SIEG C4 210x410mm Bench Lathe 550W Motor for sale by Ausee Machines Tools - DANDENONG. <299808>
www.machines4u.com.au
www.machines4u.com.au
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L194

Regards
David

Attachments

• Metric.jpg
    Metric.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 159
Thank David but I live in Newcastle upon Tyne rather than Newcastle, NSW.

But thank you for trying to help with the Sieg. As for the Metric Gears for the Myford Super7B PXF, RDG Tools have them and I'm placing an order.

Thank You

Norman

Thank David but I live in Newcastle upon Tyne rather than Newcastle, NSW.

But thank you for trying to help with the Sieg. As for the Metric Gears for the Myford Super7B PXF, RDG Tools have them and I'm placing an order.

Thank You

Norman
I have the Myford Metric Conversion Set 1481/1
When I contacted them about a 21 tooth gear they advised they had none. This is the reply I got from them when I asked when they would have some.

New message from: rdg355 Top Rated Seller (340,606 RedShooting Star )
No sorry - but it will be weeks, if not months.

Carol

Regards
David

I also have a metric conversion set but I'm settling for John B's method.

Incidentally, you could use a 63 or even a 42 as an alternative. It's still number crunching of Pi as 127 is nearly correct. That recurring decimal thing:)
Oddly my Sieg has a120 and 127 pegged to move from metric to imperial

I also have a metric conversion set but I'm settling for John B's method.

Incidentally, you could use a 63 or even a 42 as an alternative. It's still number crunching of Pi as 127 is nearly correct. That recurring decimal thing:)
Oddly my Sieg has a120 and 127 pegged to move from metric to imperial
I haven't seen John B's method. I would appreciate it if you could send it to me.

David

Slightly tangential, but for those not aware of it, I highly recommend Duncan Munro's Myford Gear Calculator.
http://metal.duncanamps.com/software.php I have a few extra change wheels above the standard set, and using my full range the gear calculator will home in on a workable gear train for almost any pitch imaginable to an immeasurably small error.
I have a 127 wheel, but never need to use it.

Hi, your post came thru but it had no link or info attached

Regards
David

I can only apologise but my practice is to read All the correspondence relating to the question.
I;m afraid I must be old fashioned but this was i was- at the tender age of 18 running a technical library in the Royal Air Force.
The Lords of the Air would have taken more than a dim view of someone who didn't read ALL the stuff.
You can't land an aircraft on a cloud to seek more information.

As a prosecutor in later life, it would have been similarly disastrous not to know 'chapter and verse'.
Laughingly, I never lost a case.

Slightly tangential, but for those not aware of it, I highly recommend Duncan Munro's Myford Gear Calculator.
http://metal.duncanamps.com/software.phpI have a few extra change wheels above the standard set, and using my full range the gear calculator will home in on a workable gear train for almost any pitch imaginable to an immeasurably small error.
Hi, I have the program installed on my main computer but one of the problems I have is I only have the quick change gearbox and the metric conversion set 1481/1. I do not have a complete set of change gears. I have worked out that if I change the 24 tooth gear below the tumbler gears to a 30 tooth one and then move the bango back until the gears mesh and the set the gearbox levers to 48TPI the lathe should cut a 60TPI thread that I require.

Regards
David

http://metal.duncanamps.com/software.phpI have a few extra change wheels above the standard set, and using my full range the gear calculator will home in on a workable gear train for almost any pitch imaginable to an immeasurably small error.

Hi Charles,

A great pity that the software doesn't work for me as a Linux user !
There is no way in hell that I will ever have that windows virus on a computer of mine. Having spent far too many wasted hours fixing other peoples machines.

Hi BaronJ,
Thanks for the links but I have managed to source a 21 tooth gear. Just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive. In the mean time I am shifting everything around as I have sold my geared head Servian/Brunswick lathe and my vertical mill. I am rearranging the positioning of my Myford, tool and cutter grinder and power hacksaw, should be finished this weekend. They were all setup in the back of my shed and I had to shift everything to get the lathe and mill out. I even had to put a steel lifting beam and columns in to lift them as the lathe weighed 750kgs and the mill about 500kgs. I will even be able to fit my car back in when finished.

Regards
David

Good one David, I reckon I could have cut one for you if I had the specs, as for pressure angles and suchlike slow turning light loads we don't need to worry too much just so long as the gear meshes OK it will work, even DP to metric will work . There is also a business in Tiari just out of Maryborough Qld that have a tremendous array of gears and racks.
Best of luck
Ted from down under

Good one David, I reckon I could have cut one for you if I had the specs, as for pressure angles and suchlike slow turning light loads we don't need to worry too much just so long as the gear meshes OK it will work, even DP to metric will work . There is also a business in Tiari just out of Maryborough Qld that have a tremendous array of gears and racks.
Best of luck
Ted from down under
Hi Ted, thanks for the reply.
The specs of myford gears are actually quite basic,
Bore 5/8" Thickness 3/8" Keyway width 1/8" 20DP and 14 1/2 deg pressure angle.
Gear ended up expensive when you add the additional costs of money exchange, packaging and handling and postage to the original price of the gear. But when you take everything into consideration I had no CI, no dividing head an would have to grind a cutter then make the blank and cut the teeth it is no longer expensive. Would you believe I sold my geared head lathe and vertical mill with dividing head about 2 months ago as I was not using them and just kept the myford as I needed the space.

Regards
David

Hi Ted, thanks for the reply.
The specs of myford gears are actually quite basic,
Bore 5/8" Thickness 3/8" Keyway width 1/8" 20DP and 14 1/2 deg pressure angle.
Gear ended up expensive when you add the additional costs of money exchange, packaging and handling and postage to the original price of the gear. But when you take everything into consideration I had no CI, no dividing head an would have to grind a cutter then make the blank and cut the teeth it is no longer expensive. Would you believe I sold my geared head lathe and vertical mill with dividing head about 2 months ago as I was not using them and just kept the myford as I needed the space.

Regards
David
Thanks David, it is probable that we can help each other sometime in the future. I am interested in model trains, the rideon give kids rides type.
Cheers Ted

Attachments

• Jonny & Sienna.jpg
    Jonny & Sienna.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 161
In the absence of the 21 Tooth gear, I always understood( but never needed to try) that the gear box cpuld be bypassed by selecting the 8 TPI on the box and set the banjo up as if it was a non- gear box machine.

Long way round the problem but am I right?

Cheers

Norman

Latest posts

Back