Dad's Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Hello,

Thank you for posting your Dad's work. He is an amazing machinist and miniature engine builder.

Your profile doesn't say what part of the country you are from or what country for that matter, but your father may be interested to display his work at one of the model engineering shows. If he enjoys talking with people of similar interests, he would have a great opportunity to do so. He would also be one of the most popular displays and attractions since this is the first time his work has been introduced to this fraternity. The next event is the N.A.M.E.S. show near Detroit, Michigan at the end of April.

http://www.namesexposition.com/expo.htm

Thanks again for posting your father's work. Wonderful work Don Ells!

Kind regards,
Mike

moconnor said:
Hello,

Thank you for posting your Dad's work. He is an amazing machinist and miniature engine builder.

Your profile doesn't say what part of the country you are from or what country for that matter, but your father may be interested to display his work at one of the model engineering shows. If he enjoys talking with people of similar interests, he would have a great opportunity to do so. He would also be one of the most popular displays and attractions since this is the first time his work has been introduced to this fraternity. The next event is the N.A.M.E.S. show near Detroit, Michigan at the end of April.

http://www.namesexposition.com/expo.htm

Thanks again for posting your father's work. Wonderful work Don Ells!

Kind regards,
Mike
We live in Washington State. Are there any northwest shows?

Great looking collection. If you want another place that would appreciate this work, look at www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com.
They are in Carlsbad, Ca, and we got to visit them last month. Very interesting.
Bob

Truly amazing craftsmanship in all of the builds!!! :bow:

One question though!
Does your father keep track of how long it took each engine to build??

Andrew

That is one magnificent body of work. Awe inspiring.

I hope you can persuade your dad to become an active member.

Did he keep any build data, drawings etc - although if he did drawings - that's enough to publish a book of plans (put me down for one).

We are just drooling for more.

Just a further heads up on Marv's comments - read the thread on posting pictures - you can do it via Photobucket or similar photo sharing website.

Ken

lazylathe said:
Truly amazing craftsmanship in all of the builds!!! :bow:

One question though!
Does your father keep track of how long it took each engine to build??

Andrew
Thanks for the comments. No I don't think kept track of the time frame of the builds. Some of them took quite a while though. That 14 cylinder radial I'm pretty sure took more than a year. He does it for fun and to keep his mind sharp. We celebrated his 80th birthday a couple of days ago. Dad says if his shop work starts to seem like a job he puts it down and finds something else to do.

bluesboy said:
This is a 1/3 scale model of a Barr & Stroud engine. It aws designer by Pieter Dekker and built by Don Ells. This engine has a bore and stroke of .866" x 1.18" and displaces 11.4 cc or .695 cu in.

This model is of a sleeve valve motorcycle engine produced in the early 1920s by the firm of Barr & Stroud of Glasgow Scotland. The sleeve valve design is where the piston is located within a sleeve which is located inside the cylinder. The sleeve moves somewhat up and down and rotates back and forth to open and close porting which allows this engine to operate in a 4 cycle manner.

How odd that Google took me here while looking for Barr & Stroud info while I try to determine if I'll finally build one. I saw the thread a few days ago but hadn't stopped in yet. Beautiful engines here.

Ken I said:
That is one magnificent body of work. Awe inspiring.

I hope you can persuade your dad to become an active member.

Did he keep any build data, drawings etc - although if he did drawings - that's enough to publish a book of plans (put me down for one).

We are just drooling for more.

Just a further heads up on Marv's comments - read the thread on posting pictures - you can do it via Photobucket or similar photo sharing website.

Ken
His drawings are done old school on his little drafting table in his shop. Probably not enough to do a book. BTW I'm getting close to posting a video of the V twin running.

That is truly some beautiful work! I second the request for videos.

Btw am I the only one who saw namesexposition.com and for a second read it as name sex position? Gave me a pause for sure.

Lee

LeeScrounger said:
Btw am I the only one who saw namesexposition.com and for a second read it as name sex position? Gave me a pause for sure.

Heh, no, I pointed that out when it was first posted. Maybe both our minds are in the gutter ;D

Simon

thanks for the video and the shop tour..................your dad has built some very very nice stuff.

chuck

Chuck, Thank you very much. Trully enjoyed your dads models, and a trip through his shop. larry

Hi Blue
That little twin sure has a gutsy note, I loved it and found it very inspiring.
I really hope you post video's for all the Engines, starting with the fourteen cyl :bow: :bow:
A legacy for us all to enjoy. :bow: :bow:
Pete

just looked at this thread and glad I did. The work is absolutely superb, very well done and thanks for showing. The sleeve valve looks a beauty, would love to build one of these some time, do you know if the plans are still available?

Cheers,
MartinH

mhirst121 said:
just looked at this thread and glad I did. The work is absolutely superb, very well done and thanks for showing. The sleeve valve looks a beauty, would love to build one of these some time, do you know if the plans are still available?

Cheers,
MartinH
Those plans came from Strictly IC magazine.

That's Awesome Bluesboy! Great runner! :bow:

Dave

Back