Dad's Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another shot.

P1000042 (640x480).jpg

Just a heads up, BB. You're allowed to attach four (4) pictures to a single post so there's no need to start a new post for each picture.

Your dad is quite a craftsman. Is there any chance of getting him to become a member here and share his wisdom with us?

I agree with MKLOTZ. Your dad is very accomplished at building model engines. Those models are superb. Thanks for letting us have a look at them.

Chuck

mklotz said:
Just a heads up, BB. You're allowed to attach four (4) pictures to a single post so there's no need to start a new post for each picture.

Your dad is quite a craftsman. Is there any chance of getting him to become a member here and share his wisdom with us?
Thanks for the heads up on the pics. I'll talk to him about joining the forum today.

This is a 1/4 scale model of a Kinner K-5 5 cylinder radial engine. It was designed by Pieter Dekker and built by Don Ells. This engine has a bore and stroke of 1.086" x 1.312" and displaces 99.6 cc or 6.0766 cu in.

This engine was used in a number of aircraft engines in the 1930s and 40s. Among them was the Gee-Bee, Bruner-Winkle Bird and the PT-22 Ryan low winged monoplane trainer used during WW 2. The full scale version had a bore and stroke of 4.25"x 5.25" and displaced 372 cu in producing 100 hp.

P1000014 (640x480).jpg

stevehuckss396 said:
Both are very nice. Any more?
I think that "Both are very nice" is a wee bit of an understatement! All of them are master pieces.
To me anyway!

Kind regards,

Ron.

Beautiful! Would love to know more about the builder too!

Dave

Here's another shot of the Kinner K-5. For some reason I can only get one picture per post.

P1000011 (640x480).jpg

Don Ells the name seems familiar , but weather Ive heard it before or not, the body of work demands attention.
definitely Master work *discussion*

Great work. Thank you for showing them. It would be such a shame for them to be hidden away when they give us so much pleasure.

Jim

Hay Blue, can we have a shot of the whole display case up on the wall? :bow:
Pete

:bow:Your dad is a excellent craftsman and we would love to have him here with us also. Thank you for bringing his works of art for us to see. We would like to see anything he has done. Thanks, Brian

Those engines are masterpieces. :bow: and can only be built by a master craftmen. yes please show us the show case. We need someone like your Dad to teach us.

Don

Don1966 said:
Those engines are masterpieces. :bow: and can only be built by a master craftmen. yes please show us the show case. We need someone like your Dad to teach us.

Don
Well I showed Dad today how to set up an account here and so forth but being old school as he is it remains uncertain if he'll do it or not. That being said I want you all to know that he does appreciate your comments and kind words.

This is a 1/4 scale model of a Wright J5 engine. This model was designed by Carl Carlsson and built by Don Ells. It has a bore and stroke of 1.000" x 1.102". The displacement is 128 cc or 7.79 cu in.

This is a model of the engine that powered the Spirit of Saint Louis, the plane that Charles Lindberg flew solo across the Atlantic in 1927.

P1000015 (640x480).jpg

P1000016 (640x480).jpg

This is a model of a liquid cooled V-8. It was designed and built by Don Ells. It has a boreand stroke of 1.093' x 1.000" and a displacement of 123 cc or 7.5 cu in.

This engine is approximately 1/4 scale of a 350 cu in automotive engine. This engine uses a pushrod valve operation and a full pressure oil system. The carburetor is modeled after a Stromburg 97 that was used on 1940s to 50s Fords.

P1000024 (640x480).jpg

P1000025 (640x480).jpg

Hi Blue
This looks like manual work, is this the case or is CNC used?
Either way its inspiring :bow:

metalmad said:
Hi Blue
This looks like manual work, is this the case or is CNC used?
Either way its inspiring :bow:
There's no CNC in these builds.

Latest posts

Back