Dad's Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesboy

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread here with photos of some of the engines my Dad has built in his retrement year.

This first one is a 45 degree V twin. It was designed and built by Don Ells(Dad). It has a bore & stroke of 1,000" x 1.125" and a displacement of 29 cc or 1.77 cu in. This engine has a pushrod valve system. The design goal was to have the engine resemble a Harley Davidson Pan Head from the 1940s and 50s.

P1000027 (640x480).jpg

Beautiful workmanship. Very nice engine. Clearly spent a lot of time and took a lot of care in building it.

Chuck

your dad does very nice work...........thanks for sharing the pictures.

chuck

Hmm an unusual first post. nice pictures of your dads engines but what about you , your shop and your work.
Tin

Love the Twin :bow:
Pete

Tin Falcon said:
Hmm an unusual first post. nice pictures of your dads engines but what about you , your shop and your work.
Tin
I'm a carpenter by trade. Dad asked me to find a place where pictures of his work might be appreciated by people who do this type of work.

This is a 14 cylinder radial aircraft engine designed by Lee K Hodgson and built by Don Ells.The bore and stroke is 1.000" x1.125". The displacement is 203 cc or 12.37 cu in. This model engine is not scaled from any particular full sized engine but is generic of many engines that were manufactured before and during the second World War and for many years after.

P1000032 (640x480).jpg

bluesboy said:
I'm a carpenter by trade. Dad asked me to find a place where pictures of his work might be appreciated by people who do this type of work.

Well Bluesboy

Let your Dad know they are definitely appreciated here.

Thanks for posting.

Bez

Awesome :bow:

Can you convince your dad to make a video of the engines running?

Vince

vcutajar said:
Awesome :bow:

Can you convince your dad to make a video of the engines running?

Vince
Yeah I think I could get that done. It would be fun.

This is a model of a Sterling Engine powered tractor designed by Rudy Kouhoupt and built by Don Ells. The Stirling Cycle Engine aka hot air engine is the power plant for this little vehicle. The heat source is an alcohol burner.

P1000036 (640x480).jpg

This is a 1/3 scale model of a Barr & Stroud engine. It aws designer by Pieter Dekker and built by Don Ells. This engine has a bore and stroke of .866" x 1.18" and displaces 11.4 cc or .695 cu in.

This model is of a sleeve valve motorcycle engine produced in the early 1920s by the firm of Barr & Stroud of Glasgow Scotland. The sleeve valve design is where the piston is located within a sleeve which is located inside the cylinder. The sleeve moves somewhat up and down and rotates back and forth to open and close porting which allows this engine to operate in a 4 cycle manner.

P1000041 (640x480).jpg

Latest posts

Back