D1-4 cam lock spindle??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( I'm sorry it didn't work out. That would have been a good starting point! I'd offer to bring it to you (or at least the UK), but I have *no* idea when I'm going to get there. My employer keeps threatening me that they want me to go there more, but right now we cannot even do inter-facility visits due to covid. Plus, I don't know how much longer I'm going to be working there. I keep threatening to find a new job! LOL

it has pointed out something that may be a problem. I looked up the lathe that spindle comes from and it says it has a 35mm bore.
if this is the case, going by that there doesn't look like there a lot of meat left to have a 46/47mm bore in my one.

i did some cad the other night but not 100% was just learning how to do some stuff so i can draw up the spindle. even as s rough sketch up
it look a bit tight with 46mm.

thanks for the offer of bringing over, hope it all works out for you.

Have cad'ed up the nose with the drawing provided. drawn with the 46mm bore leaves 7.38mm wall thickness at the front of the tapper. the tapper is 11mm proud of the face,so the 7.38mm is for 11mm the gets to the main body of the spindle. i might get away with it??

D1-4.jpg

I just checked the max through hole of my '97 D1-4/M%5 spindle 14x40 lathe. Its 38mm (1.5").

The 'gunsmith' lathes you see of similar swing/power but with larger spindle bores are usually D1-5 to eek out bit more ID.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-14-x-40-Gunsmithing-Gearhead-Lathe/G0709https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1440gs/
So just an uneducated comparison - I suspect your annular thickness must be sacrificing strength to achieve the 46mm (1.81") bore. Now whether the manufactures have a very conservative baked in safety factor is the question. One usually doesn't hear of broken spindles. OTOH they are cheap & if there was a way to advertise a big bore, they probably wouldn't go through the effort of D1-5. Maybe you could do a simple calculation of stiffness comparison to see what kind of max deflection you might be giving up.

Attachments

• SNAG-10-12-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-10-12-2020 0000.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 250
finished the spindle.... cad wise.
spin.JPG

wall thickness with a 45mm bore is 10mm. i had a look at my lathe with the D1-4 spindle and its wall at the tail and is 5mm.

other thing that concerns me is the lay out of the head bearings. (not shown) the bearings are roller angular type. they should go in the head this way round ><. but because the way they are made there is only 3mm or so of metal to stop them flying out the back of the lathe. if i put them in this way round <> there is now about 10mm of metal to push against. that would mean the load of the spindle would be on the rear bearing and not the front bearing.

I know you're meant to bore out the hole first, but would be a lot easer to machine the outside first.

Back