D-drill bit??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generatorgus

Reaction score
I'm building a new carb for my Wyvern engine using my own version of George Britnell's air bleed carb plans. I'm hoping to successfully make a usable carb that will look similar in size and shape to the original Wyvern carb. I have it almost completed.
The original is brass, but I was inspired to use SS by River Gypsy's use of SS to build his work of art Entablature steam pumping engine. I like the look of SS as well as it's maintenance free character.

It's a weldment and still needs some clean up, but I don't have Dave's enthusiasm/fortitude to do any polishing.

I've gotten to the point of drilling the tapers to form the venturi.
I'm thinking a D-bit will do the job.

I tried searching this site a bit but haven't come up with any info on making a d-bit, but I'm sure I saw it here.
I remember that the flat has to be cut a little off center, but can't remember the details. I'm sure someone here lead me there.

Thanks
GUS

Last edited:
Reactions: gus
actually you turn the outside diameter to the final diameter or taper in this case, then harden and finally grind away to 1/2 diameter.

some people leave a thou over 1/2 diameter.

you could also make a reamer with just a little more effort for a given taper.

I've made quite a few of these as well using O1 tool steel. I cut the desired profile on the lathe, polish it then set it up in my mill on a parallel. I then machine away 0.001 to 0.002 less than half the thickness with a carbide end mill. After that's done I harden it then throw it in a "carefully calibrated" barbecue grill to temper. Many temper by color change, but I always find myself getting to this point after dark. Once tempered I use some 0000 steel wool to clean up the surface and hone the remaining flat on one of those little pocket diamond hones. If you're doing a taper I've found it easier to leave a reference diameter that I also cut into at the back of the cutter to measure the depth of your facing cut.

Guys Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any accurate grinding equipment so I will have to do my best on the mill.

GUS

Hey KQ Thanks, Lots of good stuff there, it will come in handy.

I made a fairly crude looking bit yesterday, crude or not it did the job.

GUS

Hi, other Gus.

I've been watching your build, great job. I'm hoping to see that governor in action.

I haven't been very active replying to much that's going on here at HMEM, I guess I've got a case of writers cramp, but I'm think I'm getting over it.

GUS

KQ, I checked out that link....WOW! That's an incredible amount of information packed into one place. My fiance already knows what that page looks like and I just got a great eye-roll 15 minutes ago! She will be happier once I finish fabricating our wedding bands and I can get to a little engine building!

Hi, other Gus.

I've been watching your build, great job. I'm hoping to see that governor in action.

I haven't been very active replying to much that's going on here at HMEM, I guess I've got a case of writers cramp, but I'm think I'm getting over it.

GUS

Hi Gus,

Hopefully will get it up and going. Been doing test spin with hand held starter.There is a tight fit some where.

Christmas is around the corner.

Latest posts

Back