Cylinder corrosion.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
My Kerzel hit and miss engine is almost finished. Thanks to all who helped sort the ignition issues. I have now noticed that I am getting some rusting of the combustion section of the cylinder.In fact, last time the piston was actually stuck. I am pretty certain this is due to condensation products and probably worse on short runs. What do you guys do to reduce this?

besides the fuel, what are the materials employed in the piston, cylinder and head?

what's the lubricant?

The cylinder liner and piston are from Cast Iron and the head is Aluminium Bronze.
I am running on Colemans fuel with 2% oil added and carburation is of the vapour type developed by Jan Ridder.
I also manually add a little oil to the rear/ open end of the cylinder and to the valve stems.

Here is what is used by one of the most notorious model engine builders. WD-40. He once performed a test using the supposed best (expensive) rust inhibitors and WD-40. He machined some 12L-14 and threw the freshly machined metal out in the lawn after treating it with each RI and left them there for a week. After a week the one that had the least rust was WD-40.

WD-40 does not have water in it. The WD stands for Water Displacement. If rust is present before treatment it will not stop rusting. The parts must be rust free prior to treatment to keep rust from forming. But that is true with all treatments but rust converters. Bob Shores has an article on the FAME site about how to mix it with fuel and his experiences using it, a good read if you have not seen it.

Back