Cx701 lathe report

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Paul- Merci Mille Fois!

The crux of the matter is can people cut steel at the maximum swing? Several Chinese lathes did run at 100/130 rpm which too fast for facing and screwcutting

My views,, of course

Regards.
N

Having had 5 lathes: I still have a Unimat SL - but with ex-lawnmower universal motor and Chinese variable speed (£4). The other is a Chester's MF7 (or whatever) with variable speed that has foibles. (Needs the bearings to warm-up before the VSP stops "kicking" and trying to blow fuses).
But the simple principles are that I bought the Chester's lather because it would fit, and is definitely more precise than the previous old, worn, twisted bed - over-powered machines I previously owned. I was prepared to sacrifice the torque available on the other lathes (Myford ML3 included) that had AC single phase 1/2HP motors, belt change gears and back-gearing so you could get down yo well less than 60rpm. BUT when cutting 6" flywheels from cast iron, if there was an inclusion or something hard in the outer "skin" - I could see the lathe twist as the torque (via back gear) tried to take everything the belt could transmit before slipping... Not good for the soul.
I CANNOT do anything much with the Chesters lathe with VFD as at 100 rpm or a bit below it will only thread a 3/8in whit die at best. The 1/2" whit will stop it dead. - But it doesn't twist the bed and loose accuracy, it stalls if I cut badly or hit a hard scale with a parting tool on a 2" diameter hard steel shaft at the lowest speed, but is fine for all other machining. And much more accurate than all the other lathes I have owned. (I can drill a 0.25mm hole accurately with it from the tail-stock chuck! - that is a test of alignment and twisted beds!).
My message: Please respect the capabilities of your machine tools, as where they all have some deficiencies, they all have a lot of blessings as well (just like children). Care for them and respect what they can do, and find another way to do what they cannot. Then you'll share a long and happy life together.
If you were rich enough, you would have various machines for various sizes of job. Just like a factory. But we all all constrained by various things, like money, time, personal ability, space, need, etc. so live with it. Maybe that is the real satisfaction of making some of the things we do... within the limitations of our own lives?
Sorry to prattle-on so long. There is just too much angst in some comments. Please understand "life's limitations". Go and cut a 0.001" diametrical cut on a 1 or 2" diameter steel bar for 6" or 8" between centres at very slow feed rate and relax... Then mic it and see how good it really is. If you can do that then it's a pretty good lathe... If it is too slow or makes you feel impatient, choose another hobby.
K2.

Last night I was watching one of these Zoom lectures and this was on the Life and Times in HongKong given by one of our members/ brethren. Mention was made briefly of the Thoughts of Chairmen Mao who took China from abject poverty to literally attempting to take over industry. The trick was to standardise factory production and undercut by out pricing the rest.
So we have standardised Chinese lathes which are adequate, cheap- but no development. It is literally badge engineering reminiscent of the British Motor Corporation Minis from 1959
As the great man on valve gear said, there was people asking the same silly questions and getting the same silly answers.
To Hell with that, and my workshop is tailored to suit MY needs and I have got interchangeability between both lathes and the ancillary stuff too.
Apart from recent wild extravagance getting a more reliable Myford for my future needs, the rest of the set up is either home made or at minimal cost. It can, as I said, do what I want. For a 'none machinist', my requests for help have been remarkably few.
How to work this bloody ZOOM is another matter:confused:

Hi Norman,
Remember the best compliment is mimicry, plagiarism, copying in any way... it's just that they do it on "a bowl of rice per day" and we need a "posh living".... Do you remember when the Dockers struck for £40 per week and my Dad was on less than half that as a skilled mechanic and machinist working Saturdays for the overtime as well? That was the thin-end of the wedge that partly caused the decline of industry in the West. We wanted the "Lucy-Ball" lifestyle for simple jobs. And we got it. But at what price?
I'll say no more for fear of the political police - we have passed 1984 and George Orville was dead right about "Big Brother" and "New Speak"!! You only have to write about "small nuclear devices" (e.g. like cells of living creatures) to be sure e-mails won't deliver.
- Hi Big Brother - I'm talking to you!
And a generation fought for the right of freedom of speech. (You were there).
Just fun.
K2

I didn't mention that the disciplined people in society "do what is right and follow the rules" - but the sad, over-emotional, modern fashion is that every individual has a right to break the rules.... and they think it comes without punishment. The rules are there simply to define what is right or wrong - so we can all live together. The only rights anyone has are those that society has legislated to be right. Hence, governments find it necessary to police a Womens' March that the courts said was illegal in the present circumstances. If those women knew "their rights" they would not have broken the court order. And trying to curfew men is as sexist as anything else they can think of. Where's the equality in that?
The world has lost it's direction, control of the people, and maybe sanity?
I'll back-off now... getting to "old and grumpy".
K2

Modern Tool in Calgary sells an RF-45 style mill which is manual gear change. Unfortunately not on their website but they will gladly send you a spec sheet PDF & price quote. I believe its a Chinese one but I've seen it run & actually sounded better than my (albeit '98) Taiwan King RF-45. Much quieter, same HP. I'm not sure what they did but I was moderately impressed. Modern is a big boy machine supply shop so the mills only get bigger from here. Next bigger is Taiwan 935 VS mill (which I have). If you live in Calgary, delivery is a breeze. Competent riggers, not Haulers-R-Us. Unlike the BB & King horror stories, they actually are tied to the factories & can get parts.
https://www.moderntool.com/locations/calgary-alberta/
I believe this is the smallest lathe they carry.
https://www.moderntool.com/products/modern-cq6128x660a-lathe-11-swing-26-between-centers/
Modern Tool also has a facility in Newmarket, Ontario

The Dockers' Strike? I was on 4 Shillings a day as 'a boy in Air Force Blue at Hendon. I'd sort of dofged the Berlin Airleft being a 'docker; and going to Malaya as a Virgin soldier:) and the Red Fred was doing his thing in the London Docks and -- we we. were down for living in bell tents at RAF North Weald' instead of Hendon.
Oddly, lt night, it was a Superintendent from HongKong Police giving the talk. Say no more about 'Spying'This was the time that the Berlin Wall was going up and the supposed non Russians were escaping. Ahem, Ahem!

Modern Tool also has a facility in Newmarket, Ontario
But the stuff is 'all the same' but re-badged!

'Faclity' is from the french 'facile' to make it easier to be conned and spend money.
sorry but I'm too old an old crow to be shot just leaving the wood for the first time .

But the stuff is 'all the same' but re-badged!

'Faclity' is from the french 'facile' to make it easier to be conned and spend money.
sorry but I'm too old an old crow to be shot just leaving the wood for the first time .
Well okay, a store, point being that it's 3400 kms closer to someone in Eastern Canada and in all likelihood, at least has access to the same stock.

Well okay, a store, point being that it's 3400 kms closer to someone in Eastern Canada and in all likelihood, at least has access to the same stock.
I took a look at the Modern Tool lathe in stock that was pointed out earlier . Looks a nice machine, a belt and pulley version of the CX type lathes discussed here. Take a look at its speed range though, it only goes down to 150rpm. A bit hairy for for single point thread cutting from right to left on the work piece! They do stock an awful lot of very nice machinery though.

With all these electronic problems it would seem that the Busy Bee CX 707 12X36 lathe starts to look better. It is straight manual gear boxes. All those gears are heavy, the lathe weighs over 1200 lbs as opposed to the CX 706 at 500. Has anyone on this forum had experience with this lathe?

I didn't mention that the disciplined people in society "do what is right and follow the rules" - but the sad, over-emotional, modern fashion is that every individual has a right to break the rules.... and they think it comes without punishment. The rules are there simply to define what is right or wrong - so we can all live together. The only rights anyone has are those that society has legislated to be right. Hence, governments find it necessary to police a Womens' March that the courts said was illegal in the present circumstances. If those women knew "their rights" they would not have broken the court order. And trying to curfew men is as sexist as anything else they can think of. Where's the equality in that?
The world has lost it's direction, control of the people, and maybe sanity?
I'll back-off now... getting to "old and grumpy".
K2
No, that first sentence is incorrect. Those that "follow the rules" do so out of fear. Those who "do what is right" do so because "right" is not always anything whateveer to do with rules! Doing what is right is often an act of courage AGAINST the rule makers and rule followers. Often the rule followers are the dull who believe what the liars, politicians, preachers, judgementalists, opportunists, teachers and other slimeballs purport in order to support and keep their own illegitimate power. Have you read "The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion"? It's an important docjument "discovered" in 1905, alledged to be written by a Jewish relative of mine. Many Jewish believe it (or at least give lip service to) to be a hoax to make us look bad, but I, as a Jew, believe it to be genuine and don't approve of it's intent. Whatever. Read it and you will be horrified to discouver that the predictions have ALL come to pass: We (whoever that is?) now own the politicians, the police, the education sysstem, the news and print media, the military, the factories, prisons, judges, lawyers, doctors and anything else that is used to control, influence, keep alive, kill, propagandize, instill fear, build distrust, etc., etc., etc.

Well, didn't I say in another post that the most dangerous man alive is Baron X in London? Well, let me tell you it has nothing to do with him being Jewish, it has to do with him being an international BANKSTER! The other guilty are those who own the bank of london, the FED, the international banks of Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, and all other countries. These people's declared values are: I care not who runs the country, just give me the control of the banks! Another book that should be on your reading list: The Creature from Jekel Island. (Jekel sp.?)

You say the world has lost it's direction. I agree, however, the "Protocols" clearly states that this is one of their objectives, to give a world so directionless, so in upheaval, so at war with nothing but lies that ultimately, the people will be begging them to take over with a "King". Well, this is all fine, as long as . . . (drum roll) . . . I . . . (trumpets) . . . am . . . (Beethoven's Ode to Joy) . . . that . . . (Handel's Messiah) . . . KING! Do you thimpfk I have a chance at becoming that king? Not a bit!

BTW, I thimpfk your use of the word 'punishment' should be replaced with "consequences".

No, that first sentence is incorrect. Those that "follow the rules" do so out of fear. Those who "do what is right" do so because "right" is not always anything whateveer to do with rules! Doing what is right is often an act of courage AGAINST the rule makers and rule followers. Often the rule followers are the dull who believe what the liars, politicians, preachers, judgementalists, opportunists, teachers and other slimeballs purport in order to support and keep their own illegitimate power. Have you read "The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion"? It's an important docjument "discovered" in 1905, alledged to be written by a Jewish relative of mine. Many Jewish believe it (or at least give lip service to) to be a hoax to make us look bad, but I, as a Jew, believe it to be genuine and don't approve of it's intent. Whatever. Read it and you will be horrified to discouver that the predictions have ALL come to pass: We (whoever that is?) now own the politicians, the police, the education sysstem, the news and print media, the military, the factories, prisons, judges, lawyers, doctors and anything else that is used to control, influence, keep alive, kill, propagandize, instill fear, build distrust, etc., etc., etc.

Well, didn't I say in another post that the most dangerous man alive is Baron X in London? Well, let me tell you it has nothing to do with him being Jewish, it has to do with him being an international BANKSTER! The other guilty are those who own the bank of london, the FED, the international banks of Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, and all other countries. These people's declared values are: I care not who runs the country, just give me the control of the banks! Another book that should be on your reading list: The Creature from Jekel Island. (Jekel sp.?)

You say the world has lost it's direction. I agree, however, the "Protocols" clearly states that this is one of their objectives, to give a world so directionless, so in upheaval, so at war with nothing but lies that ultimately, the people will be begging them to take over with a "King". Well, this is all fine, as long as . . . (drum roll) . . . I . . . (trumpets) . . . am . . . (Beethoven's Ode to Joy) . . . that . . . (Handel's Messiah) . . . KING! Do you thimpfk I have a chance at becoming that king? Not a bit!

BTW, I thimpfk your use of the word 'punishment' should be replaced with "consequences".
I thought this was thread about lathes...

Sorry djswain.. my fault. - having a bad lock-down perhaps? But no excuses. I was out of order for your thread. I just get a bit rattled sometimes at the use of "Common sense"... wherever it appears, as it seems that people are irrational sometimes, and that seems to be the "commonest" of all.
Back to lathes: Paul: When you want a thread to a blind end, reverse the lathe and tools to machine from the blind-end to the open end for cutting the thread. - Like UN-screwing a nut! (My wife - and probably some readers - would love to find out which way to turn me to "Unscrew my Nut"!).
K2

Hi Linz, It Seems like today's consumables are "electronic boards".... And I thought 20 years for my Philips Tape recorder from 1976 was good, but could last longer before all the boards gave-up all their "smoke"... It's true that the smoke either comes out rapidly so you see it, or leaks out with time - invisibly - so when they are empty of smoke the plastic lumps on the circuit boards don't do anything...
One day we'll figure it out.
Makes me wonder though, if the USA president had to "push the button", would anything happen with the older stuff? - or has all the electronic smoke just leaked away?
I have lots of old gear that doesn't turn ON when powered-up. Awaiting the re-opening of the tip before I can get rid...
Thinking of the electronic smoke leaking out... for 50 years or more we have been throwing electronic stuff up into space around the planet, which has been bombarded by cosmic rays... which make holes in the electronics - so the smoke leaks out faster... So is there just lots of old junk up there whirling around us looking for a nice place to fall onto? - I guess so. Like 100 years ago... you won't see the one that hits you!
On that crazy note... Enjoy your new board!
K2

Hi Linz, It Seems like today's consumables are "electronic boards".... And I thought 20 years for my Philips Tape recorder from 1976 was good, but could last longer before all the boards gave-up all their "smoke"... It's true that the smoke either comes out rapidly so you see it, or leaks out with time - invisibly - so when they are empty of smoke the plastic lumps on the circuit boards don't do anything...
One day we'll figure it out.
Makes me wonder though, if the USA president had to "push the button", would anything happen with the older stuff? - or has all the electronic smoke just leaked away?
I have lots of old gear that doesn't turn ON when powered-up. Awaiting the re-opening of the tip before I can get rid...
Thinking of the electronic smoke leaking out... for 50 years or more we have been throwing electronic stuff up into space around the planet, which has been bombarded by cosmic rays... which make holes in the electronics - so the smoke leaks out faster... So is there just lots of old junk up there whirling around us looking for a nice place to fall onto? - I guess so. Like 100 years ago... you won't see the one that hits you!
On that crazy note... Enjoy your new board!
K2
A lot of old electronics does not seem to turn on due to the electrolytic capacitors. They go bad with age effectively drying out, some spilling out their liquid.gel. I have rebuilt quite a few power supplies and recapped motherboards etc to restore electronic equipment and computers.

A lot of old electronics does not seem to turn on due to the electrolytic capacitors. They go bad with age effectively drying out, some spilling out their liquid.gel. I have rebuilt quite a few power supplies and recapped motherboards etc to restore electronic equipment and computers.

Thank yew for that. Something I didn't know.

I'm an old - once very capable- cost accountant. It one allows for the replacement of ONE dud board, buying an old UK lathe or an American one for reconditioning seems eminently preferable.

I discussed the purchase of a Myford ML7 by a contributor here and allowing for a slideways grind etc, the cost seemed to favour the restoration of the ML7 and perhaps a faithful old American machine..

I got to the rough( very rought) costing of a reconditioned Myford Super 7- arguably built like a battleship and the new price of a 8 x16 lathe and adding the cost of a blown board.

I know wherte I would go and-- actually went

Best Wishes

Norman

Latest posts

Back