CX601 Milling Machine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian:
Here is what you need.
Mini Shop Crane
https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/mini-shop-crane-84270?Or it at least it looks interesting and for a person of your talents, I would suggest pneumatic tires to make it easier moving around the shop and out to the truck.
The part I like is you can build it to suit your home and situation which best suits your needs.
It is strictly for vertical lifting. There is no Boom or any means to extend a weight in the horizontal plain other than moving the entire Crane from point A to Point B

I had another look. I would suggest a different approach to the actual lifting method.
1. and electric Winch
2. a chain fall
3. a block and tackle using as many pulleys as required to make the lifting weight manageable with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

I hope that I am not offending anyone but my thoughts and actions may be worth a thought or two.
Provided there is no problems which are severe mentally and physically, there is no reason that I can see to prevent people of they are still in clining to carry on machining into quite late in lif e. I'm almost 91!

However, I have made dramatic alterations( and really should make more) because I am no longer fit enough to even consider heavy-ish tooling and certainly not blocks and tackles.
I'm even connsidring whether to dispense with my milling machine and tackling jobs which we all managed on a vertical slide-- in the olden days.

I've updated my lathe to one which is the same but hopefully, requires and w ill reqire less attention in whatever future holds. Again, when that time inevitably comes, there will be a workshop which will be desirable and not the subject and attention of the tire kickers who waste time of those who have the responsibility of finalising things.

Like many of advancing age, I have more than one lathe. It has saved vast amounts of time and effort in not having to change tooling and, in my case, the second lathe was incredibly cheap. In other w ords as someone who has 'done cost accountancy, recognises that machinery not only reduces in value but-- horror of horrors- takes on a negative value .
So my thoughts. I'd be delighted to hear yours

Norman

Whoa, that's really great--learnd another new word. a "sack Barrow", must originally come from the same meaning as wheel barrow, a barrow of course is a pig. Did the ancient English, perhaps, use pigs for work like camels?
Chinese:)
The railway stuff of 4feet 8 and a half inches is older than the Romans. There are ruts formed from chariots running along The Roman Wall and obviously older than that. George Stephenson, the railway pioneer ived nearby-- and copied the gauge. In wood first!

Whoa, that's really great--learnd another new word. a "sack Barrow", must originally come from the same meaning as wheel barrow, a barrow of course is a pig. Did the ancient English, perhaps, use pigs for work like camels?

Hi Richard,
Up here in Yorkshire and Scotland , the word "Barrow" often gets pronounced "Barra". Barra is also the most southerly of the inhabited islands in the Outer Hebrides part of the Western Ilse.

A Barrow is also a tumulus in pre- historic times.

Now they have found that Stonehenge was moved from the Nort of Sccotland to the South of England

Heady stuff and just discovered

... Brian is a gentleman
Interesting. Why did you feel the need to point that out? I certainly haven't written anything that suggests otherwise.
... the luxury of being able to drive to Toronto from Barrie. There are more of us out in the "Left Overshoe" of Canada who while we may live near a city that happens to have a BusyBeeTools outlet. As has also been said Only Toronto is authorized to perform repairs or ship out spares.
You might recheck Brian's first interaction with BusyBee. It was all done remotely and they sent him a new control board immediately. Why his experience was different from others in the West, apart from the time difference, I can't say.
... I have lived In the Maritimes, In Ontario, and Alberta and there is a huge difference in treatment if you live anywhere but Toronto the Blessed, oh and by the way you also must life on the correct side of the tracks as well.
Wow, there is an awful lot to unpack there but that is just too far from the raison d'etre of this board.

Craig

Well, just so that anyone concerned will know: I . . . am NOT a gentleman, not at all, I am rude and crude and slap women just for fun. Rather, I am . . . a SCHOLAR! I am also a coward, if threatened by a woman bigger than me, I RUN! But in my spare time, when not spuming naughty words or slapping the helpless, I READ!

Craig, Sorry, but you are a very confused individual.
What a delightful person you are. We may disagree but I haven't disparaged you. Yet.
... the way a customer should be treated in respect to the business. CUSTOMER SERVICE.
I will again point out that Brian's mill went down on March 3 and I believe he received the repaired head back on March 11. Are we really calling that bad customer service?

Note that I only ever commented on his experience--no others.

Craig

Well, just so that anyone concerned will know: I . . . am NOT a gentleman, not at all, I am rude and crude and slap women just for fun. Rather, I am . . . a SCHOLAR! I am also a coward, if threatened by a woman bigger than me, I RUN! But in my spare time, when not spuming naughty words or slapping the helpless, I READ!
Well? Yes.

But the World rotates on the interaction of Land, Labour and Capital and arguably Enterprise.
In a modest sort of way, hobby workshops are obtained-- or not. Rational comments would be welcome--- as it is bloody cold, raining and I have been locked down in this awful pandemic for 13 months.
Regards

Norman

snip
as it is bloody cold, raining and I have been locked down in this awful pandemic for 13 months.

Hang in there - - - - more lock down to come - - - - we are a very long way from done with this particular virus at this point.
In fact the UN, IIRC, was suggesting at least one more year - - - - knowing how accurate bureaucratic estimates are I'd suggest that said estimate is likely quite optimistic!

An update on what is happening with the mill. I went over to BusyBee sales outlet today in Barrie and picked up the power head for my mill. (Toronto BusyBee ships it up to my local BusyBee with no charge to me.) They refunded $67 to me because the filter board they had originally sent me was not the problem. They put a new power cord on the mill and a new fuse holder. They charged me $15 for the new power cord and nothing for the new fuse holder. Two hours labour cost $100.00 I'm okay with this. It is a good milling machine and I am very happy with it. I used my cherry-picker engine hoist to unload it from my truck and onto my two wheel pallet truck, then maneuvered it from my garage into my office. It is extremely heavy. I may enlist the help of my younger son to get it off the pallet truck and back into position on the mill. My hands are bad with carpal tunnel syndrome right now, so I'm in no great rush.
That was good of them to refund on the board. Driving to Concord seems to be the answer to lack of parts /service at the local stores. I wish I could do that. Although, driving the 3400kms might be quicker then waiting for them to return a call. Maneuvering these machines and parts can certainly be a chore. Your in home work room looks extremely convenient but also limiting on the hoisting equipment that can be used.

I may have made that name up. I really didn`t know exactly what this was called.
yFIx6e.jpg
I love all the machined projects you have on your shelves. One day......maybe.

Together again---All my tears have stopped falling---Okay, well, maybe we're not all country music fans. This morning, with the help of my cherry picker engine hoist and armed with absolute faith in myself, I put the head back on my mill.---And yes, I did actually plug it into power and turn it on just to make damned sure that it really did run before I put it back on the machine. I was going to get my younger son to come over and help me, but I'd really rather work alone, and he is out and about with his job every day and I am still concerned about catching Covid. I consider it rather miraculous that the mill quit working on almost the same day that my carpal tunnel syndrome rendered both hands rather useless. I've taken good advantage of the "downtime" that resulted from the mill breaking down, and my hands are doing much better now. I still have to tram the mill and fix a few wires in place, but it will be back in production by the end of today. In terms of money, it's cost me about $125 and a trip to Toronto, but neither is a big deal for me.---Brian Rupnow

Today I am replacing the sheared off nylon gear in the head of my CX601 milling machine. This has taken me three hours to get from beginning to end of disassembly. I am going slow like the turtle, because I've only done this once before and I don't want to break something. Thank goodness I made some notes on how this was done two or three years ago, because I only remember about half of what I done. In this picture you can see the jack shaft this gear lives on, the old gear, the new gear, and the shifter fork. There is a real trick involved with this jackshaft. It has three snap rings associated with it. One is on the bottom, in the same cavity that the bolts are which hold the head in place and let you tram the mill. Take it off first. That shaft passes thru a bearing in the top plate and then thru another gear. The second snap ring holds the gear in place on the shaft and has to be removed to let the gear be removed from the shaft. Then a third snap ring holds the bearing in the top plate and it must be removed last of all. Then the shaft with bearing in place is driven out from the bottom side with a brass drift punch.
NZJ2cu.jpg

Together again---All my tears have stopped falling---Okay, well, maybe we're not all country music fans. This morning, with the help of my cherry picker engine hoist and armed with absolute faith in myself, I put the head back on my mill.---And yes, I did actually plug it into power and turn it on just to make damned sure that it really did run before I put it back on the machine. I was going to get my younger son to come over and help me, but I'd really rather work alone, and he is out and about with his job every day and I am still concerned about catching Covid. I consider it rather miraculous that the mill quit working on almost the same day that my carpal tunnel syndrome rendered both hands rather useless. I've taken good advantage of the "downtime" that resulted from the mill breaking down, and my hands are doing much better now. I still have to tram the mill and fix a few wires in place, but it will be back in production by the end of today. In terms of money, it's cost me about $125 and a trip to Toronto, but neither is a big deal for me.---Brian Rupnow
Good to hear its all back together and working.whewwww.
I have a 601 two years now.....not using it all that much....but i'll knowý who to go to when (not if) my gear goes. So far the only issue was the spindle was heating up when used at higher speeds. Ffelt like there was some drag when hand turning the spindle out of gear. Took the spindle out and managed to reduce the load on the bearings. From guaging the spindle there's no play and can rotate easily by hand. Only gets a little warm now....i'm happy. I'm just a novice at this mill and a cx709 lathe. Need to talk to you about a Dro for the mill.
I'd say i'm an old fart...and suffered from carple tunnel for a couple of decades......untill i got surgery.. i fully understand the incapacitation and pain of this condition. Got my both wrists done......and has been great ever since with no issues.
Surgery is les that 30 minutes.
Stay well.

Latest posts

Back