Cutting Toolbit Blanks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmac

Reaction score
I've ordered a boring bar that accepts square and round toolbit blanks (holding them at either 45 or 90 degrees) to allow me to complete internal boring of cylinders. I want to insert short portions of standard toolbit blanks but have never attempted to cut thru one. I suspect a zip disc will do for the 1/8" bits but how do you guys cut 1/4" bits (without ruining the hardness/temper)?

None of the reference literature I've collected seems to address this issue.

Thanks
Garry

Garry,

Angle grinder and 2mm metal cutting disc. HSS does not require tempering. Have a pot of water handy and a brush, if the colours start to run brush with water till you can touch it and then start the cut again.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

I notch 'em right around with a cut off disk in the Dremel and then snap 'em off.

tel said:
I notch 'em right around with a cut off disk in the Dremel and then snap 'em off.
But if they're big this is quite dangerous!
I also did it that way once (But with a 10 mm bar; cut it to the middle, clamped it in the bench vise and took a hammer to break it off.)
There was a small fragmet which was thrown through the shop and stuck in the wooden door!! :eek:
I did except it to fly through my shop but not with such speed!!
So, be careful with that! (I always wear safety glasses when doing such things)

Wrap a rag round it - then belt it.

Just done some 5/8" square for a slotting tool this morning.

John S.

Thanks fella's - love how answers appear from all corners of the globe - restores one's faith in humanity :bow:

Cheers
Garry

Latest posts

Back