Cutting tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like an amazing tool but when I see one of these presentations and knowing the brittleness of carbide I just wonder how the teeth can hold up to all the intermittent cutting.
gbritnell

gbritnell said:
It looks like an amazing tool but when I see one of these presentations and knowing the brittleness of carbide I just wonder how the teeth can hold up to all the intermittent cutting.
gbritnell

I agree. And, I understand the replacement blades are darn near as expensive as the original tool. Kind of like inkjet printers... give them the printer and sell them the replacement ink!

Chuck

there was some discussion here about this tool IIRC cuts quicly but it a rough cut.
Tin

I have one of the Harbor Freight versions... nothing but pleased with it so far.

It cuts fast for sure, as far as it cutting rough that's mostly because it cuts fast, LOL. It's hand guided, so unlike a bandsaw or something where you can line it up first then let the machine cut, you have to guide it the whole way. Imagine a circular saw except you don't have to worry about kickback.... it's still just kind of hard to aim it exactly on a line by eye. If you change your angle mid-cut you get a step or notch.

It would be easier for flat stock if it had a base..... I have been kind of wondering about buying and/or making a base like this one...
http://www.harborfreight.com/safety-guard-for-angle-grinders-45921.html

Ohhh, and blades are $25... or at least they will be if they ever come off backorder.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-double-cut-saw-replacement-blades-68327.html

As to the carbide holding up to the cuts... the rotational speed isn't as high as a circ caw, so maybe that helps? Also, with the counter rotating bit there's only so deep a "bite" it can take on each tooth. It's cutting action almost seems more like a "nipper"? Anyway, so far no problems but I haven't put that many miles on it.

Ohh, and it does sometimes throw sparks, by the way.... it definitely showers you with hot chips too, LOL.

It's a safely goggles REQUIRED piece of equipment.

Latest posts

Back