Cutting keyway in motor spindle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
Following on from my previous thread I've now managed to turn down the motor spindle to the correct diameter (thanks to everyone who gave advice)

Now I need to cut a 4mmx2mm keyway into the spindle. My idea was to fabricate some sort of mount so I could attach a Dremel/rotary tool to the cross slide of the lathe and use a 4mm slot cutter - however thought I'd throw it out to you guys to see if there is a better solution.

Also the remenants of the original keyway are still on the spindle. A flat approx 8mm wide and .5mm deep, I was going to cut the new keyway down the centre of this but would I be better starting afresh 180degress round from this.

Cheers

Jim

Seeing as you don't have a setup and have got to fabricate something for this one off just use a parting tool on it's side and plane the keyway in with the spindle locked.

Very light cuts by racking the saddle back and forwards, it's a pin but it doesn't take that long, probably quicker than making a mount for a dremel that will probably cut oversize anyway given dremel bearings <g>

And yes make a fresh start.

John S.

Thanks for the reply John

Didn't have a parting tool wide enough but ground down a suitable shaped tool from HSS and gradually shaved away a slot. Not perfect but it will do the job (hopefully !)

Cheers

Jim

Back