Cutting cooling fins

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
Some thing about cutting cooling fins gets me charged up and ready to go :big: :big:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wROXzesbfX8[/ame]

oops I see I put this in the totally wrong area!

Wrong area or not, GREAT VIDEO! Thm:

Rick

I like that video too, look at the nice pile of swarf, I like to see machines with chips on them, not some super clean lathe that does not work for a living. ;D

nice fins.

In the case of cooling fins on an engine cylinder barrel, do you guys generally drill the holes for the cylinder head tie-down bolts/studs before or after cutting the fins?

Cheers Garry

I have done it both ways and worked fine both ways. I think I prefer after though a tad bit less interupted cutting on the lathe but it is hardly noticeable.

Garry, I think it also depends on the material being used and the thickness or more importantly thinness of the fins. Thin fins on an aluminum cylinder could suffer some bending if drilled after cutting. That's probably the exception rather than the rule, but something to consider when looking at the part geometry. For probably 90% of the cases, either method would work as Doc said.

Bill

Thanks Doc & Bill! I`m talking mainly about aluminum and not real thin fins. I was worried about all the drill break thrus on the fins and it`s potential for breaking smallish drill bits.
Cheers Garry

Yes would certainly run a risk of drill breakage on break through but then again you have to drill and move a lot more material with the drill. I have (knock on wood) not had any bad luck either way and then again which ever way you go there are different things to watch out for.

Latest posts

Back