Cutter grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Professor Dennis Chaddock CBE resigned the Deckel/Alexander and made the Quorn.

I made the latter. However it is now into the Mark3 by Hemimmgwaykits in England.
The Drawings for the Mark 3 were about £65.

Easy to build? Me, I looked forward - with - let 's say- :D curiosity.

I am not too likely to build a machine. For my home use I can just discard a lot of cutters for the price of a machine.

I still would think that it would be fairly easy to build the rest of the machine. Most of the precision stuff is in the head and the remaining part is in the grinder.

Here is a video of the system I built for sharpening ed mills. There is a play list on my youtube channel.

The air bearing unit has plans the rest is my own design. I have some of the build in the play list.

The Brooks which was featured in issues 16 and 17 pf Model Engineers Workshop magazine looks dead simple to make. Have a look at Gadget Builder.com.

Again for a freebie is the Bonelle which is more or less a fabricated Quorn certainly looks both interesting- and challenging.
From Canada, there is the Tinker which had its roots in the UK. Very simple but you have to buy the plans- yet again.

For what it is worth, most tool and cuty during the lockdown which grinders seem to have failings of one sort or another.

In the dim and distant past, I spoke with Arnold Throp of Dore Engineering and with connections with the seller of Quorn Castings. Like me he built a Quorn but for most run of the mill stuff, he used the far simpler Kennet. The latest version of it is the Worden Mark3 which I am building as 'displacement therapy in the never ending lockdown here.

Plenty of choice. Merely overcoming the inertia which seems to beset most here.

I have the drawings.
Again, I think Bazmak made a version.

However my guess is that it is only for lathe tools. seemingly there was to be more but as far as I am aware, it hasn't happened. I MAY be out of date but that's my take.

Of corse------------- I do have a U2/3 Universal Tool and Cutter grinder;)

Something llike the Quorn ma well be difficult to s et up but a tad more simplified with the Mark 3 but ----- but the price is as the French would say 'Tres Interessant':eek:
Again, I have the plans plus an assortment of 'unmachined' Quorn castings----- well I have:D

Norman

The setup I built does the ends of endmills plus the sides doing primary and secondary relief angles. I am very happy with it and have sharpened a lot of endmills with it. It really didn't cost a lot to build. If I were guess it was under $150 since I had the metal and the only cost was the spindle motor and the cbn wheel.

There is a drawback to sharping end mills i found it change the size.

Dave

I ended up ordering the drawings for the Tinker. it looks simple enough and I probably would not have to order much material or parts. I like the looks of the Worton MK3 and drawings can be purchased but the drawings do not include details on some of the parts which come machined and I do not want to invest over $500 US in the complete kit. I started out with the idea that I was not going to get sucked into this. Weak character I guess.

I ended up ordering the drawings for the Tinker. it looks simple enough and I probably would not have to order much material or parts. I like the looks of the Worton MK3 and drawings can be purchased but the drawings do not include details on some of the parts which come machined and I do not want to invest over $500 US in the complete kit. I started out with the idea that I was not going to get sucked into this. Weak character I guess.
Whilst the old Tinker had 3 iron castings, the Canadian version is fabricated from mild steel bar.
I lost my old Nottingham, England drawings from days long gone and a friend supplied me with the new ones. These were for information and subsequently destroyed. It brings me to the point of perhaps, the Mini Tinker which you will get with the bigger drawings. Perhaps you will do a write up on your future project. Meantime, I wish you well in your endeavours

Norman

Something which I find interesting on the Tinker is the lack of information. I can find photos but no videos and the photos do not get close enough for detail. I still am not sure of how the part is indexed in the holder. The part is held in a collet, MT2 according to the description,but I still wonder how an end mill would be indexed to do the other flutes. Obviously removing the part from the collet to index to the next flute would not work. I guess that I am just going to have to wait for the drawings. I also wonder how such a simple looking item could end up needing 90 drawings. It does not appear that there could be over 20 pieces in the whole assembly.

Gordon

Historically, there was great animosity between owners of the Quorn and thee thn embryo Tinker.
As Professor Chaddock was in the 'In' crowd and Norma Tinker was in his little shed in Long Eaton, Nottingham, there was no competition really.

So scrapping the rest of my flagging memory, the Tinker I my guess has fairly similar tool holding which appears in all sorts of other cutter grinders. One is 'classic' to most grinders and that is 'a finger' to hold- say a 2, 3 or4 lip cutter. Again, a finger can allow a cutter to follow a flute.
This, I find is now part and parcel of an ER32 tool holder which swops with the more simple holder which is nothing but a 1" tube( in many) which has a series 2BA grub screws. Yes 2BA- what a lovely thread.
Further 'indexing' on the Tinker is to put crude divisions on each end of a ring to fit the notional 1" or 25mm tool holder. The Quorn one, which fits the normal 1" tool holder has detents as well as a 360 degree ring which both indexed and locked with an expanding collet.
Of course GH Thomas produced the dividing head with one hole but two Acme screws which will create ANY angle.

Then, if you must, you can fit an elliptical or epicentral chuck - if you are unto ornamental turning.
You will add all sorts of holders to suit your own needs as you familiarise yourself with your machine

Then- isn't it the Formula for creating angles on a grindinder with 0.006 x the angle required times the diameter in inches on the perifery of the grinding wheel

It gets addictive-- sorry!

Hi Guys,

I'm in the throws of making my version of a "Brooks TCG". I've almost finished the grinding spindle cartridge, but still have a lot to do, including finding a suitable motor to drive the spindle.

31-07-2020-003.JPG

The part finished grinding spindle.

Hi John
Theoretically, you need a 1/6th HP 2880RPM Fracmo type mootor.
I might---MIGHT have one.

I now that years ago I stripped a Fracmo motor- speed unknown as it is under a small earthquake.

If I can pull it and de-cypher the plate - cos it had TWO sets of reduction gears- and a condenser of sorts.

I'm still in shielded lockdown but--- have you anyone driving up from Sheffield to Newcastle( Gosforth)?
( The return railfare even with a Senior Citizens Rail Card is or seems to be £47)

Have a think as you progress.

Cheers

N

Latest posts

Back