Cut Off Blades

Discussion in 'General Engine Discussion' started by Wrist Pin, Oct 19, 2011.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 19, 2011 #1

Wrist Pin

Wrist Pin

Wrist Pin

Hi All
    I have a table top lathe that I bought from The Little Machine Shop and I am having a tough time finding cut off options. The HHS blades are probably my best bet for this machine but mounting them is a bit of a problem.
    Where can I get the holders that a half inch square milled in the back that can be held by set screws in the rotating block on the cross slide?? I know I have seen them before but cannot find them in the usual outlets.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim

2. Oct 19, 2011 #2

Tin Falcon

Tin Falcon

Tin Falcon

well LMS is one of the best sources I know of for mini lathe accessories. that is where I buy my cut off blades.
    I also purchased my A2Z-CNC QC tool holder from them . IMHO a QC tool holder is on of the best and first accessories for a lathe. they make tool setup a lot easier.They also include a parting tool holder.
    that aside lms part #1551 should do what you are asking
    [​IMG]
    hope this helps

PS: Do not feel too bad . I searched for this on the lms site by typing cut off tool. nothing came up. I typed parting tool and it came up as a cutoff tool holder . go figure!.
    tin

3. Oct 19, 2011 #3

Wrist Pin

Wrist Pin

Wrist Pin

Hi Tin!
    Thanks! That's what I am looking for!
    I looked through so many online catalogs yesterday my eyes were crossed. I knew I saw it, just could not find it again! Just ordered it and a set of blades and threw in a milling stop just for good measure!
    Thanks again!!
    Jim
    PS: Working on a V-4 compressed air engine. Will you guys be having another show in Waltham next spring??

4. Oct 19, 2011 #4

Tin Falcon

Tin Falcon

Tin Falcon

well the official answer is "I can not confirm or deny that statement. "But I expect the Nemes guys are planning one usually the third Saturday in February. I have been attending the last few.
    Tin

5. Oct 21, 2011 #5

lensman57

lensman57

lensman57

Hi,
    If funds allow try and source a cut off tool with replaceable (indexible) carbide tip from one the usual manufacturers.
    I have a little Taig lathe and had a lot of difficulties parting off even a 10mm brass round stock with the usual Hss T bars and so on.
    This new cut off tool was a god send to me though a little expensive.
    Mine is mounted on a holder with an 8mm shank and its from Glanze.

Regards,

A.G

6. Oct 21, 2011 #6

Wrist Pin

Wrist Pin

Wrist Pin

Thanks A.G.