Curved Spoke Flywheel (lots of pictures)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been pouring bronze way to cold. Probably around 1950 Degrees, guessing buy how things looked? I used my homemade pyrometer and today I poured at 2200 degrees F. and it turned out much better, I think. I'll have to wait an hour or so to see for sure. See how the bronze ran up and out the vent holes. It's never done that before. This picture was taken a minute or so after the pour and you can still see it glowing red.These had to turn out...

CurvedSpokeFlywheel019.jpg

To be continued....

They turned out great!!! I'm glad I finished my Pyrometer today.
CurvedSpokeFlywheel020.jpg

I'm thinking of building a pattern for a fancy finger engine to run this flywheel. To Fancy for a finger engine? Maybe, But who cares. It will be fun!

Very nice results Wes!

Thanks again for sharing your progress with us and walking us through
your triumphs as well as the not so perfect castings.
We can all learn from someone who is so willing to show their whole
process.
Many times the only things we see are the finished, perfect parts, when
we all know that those parts may not have been made on the first attempt.

Excellent Thread!!!!
Perhaps the best we've seen to date.

Rick

Hi Wes
I have to echo the words a few posts back about the bare arms and face. get yourself a chrome leather jacket and a full face shield!
I used to work next door to a foundry as did my brother. late one night a pile of scrap was dropped into the blast sadly it had some moisture on it. The result was a blow up and a guy running round covered in molten steel he died a slow painful death.

Molten metal can and will bite you take the precautions so you dont need a year or so of having your ass grafted to your arms!

Dramatic yes but but so is even a small accident in a foundry. We all have a duty to pass on good safe working practice to others.

That aside nice flywheels.

Cheers kevin

Love those flywheels.
Maybe one day in the future (a long way in the future) I will try some casting.

I must admit I have a full face shield and I wear that even when soft soldering as I have been known to knock parts just after soldering them and although a spot of molten tin and lead won't be life threatening it still hurts when it lands on your face.

As the age old saying goes 'Better to be safe than sorry'.

Keep up the great work and keep posting those pictures.

Picked up a Face shield, leather sleeves and a full length leather apron today:O) These should come in handy.

Now I need to come up with a casting just as neat for a base for my treadle engine.

Later, Wes

Good deal Wes,

Don't want you to burn up.

I have a pair of full arm gloves for hot work.

Kenny

Hi Wes
pig your bronze first and then recast with the pigs. On the first smelt as the pot comes to temperature plunge a dime size bit of pure aluminium to the bottom of the pot. Doing this will draw a lot of crap n muck out of the pot and allow you to remove it as slag from the top of teh melt. the pigs you get will be better to work and give a nicer cast the second smelt.
Pigging is very important especialy with dirty bronze. Beware as you plunge the aluminum you will get a flair so dont be over the pot.

Most of what I do now is iron but I do still cast bearing blocks in gunmetal. My capacity is 50lbs of iron and 30lbs in bronze/brass. You look to have a good setup.

Do you use bentonite in your sand? or oil? Also looks like your using beach sand rather than sand stone sand (both get called green sand). If you are have a go at getting good sandstone flour it really is teh best for detail.

Cheers kevin

compound driver said:
Hi Wes
pig your bronze first and then recast with the pigs. On the first smelt as the pot comes to temperature plunge a dime size bit of pure aluminium to the bottom of the pot. Doing this will draw a lot of crap n muck out of the pot and allow you to remove it as slag from the top of teh melt.
Cheers kevin

Kevin,

Does plunging the piece of aluminum cause the impurities to rise to the surface? How long does it take?

Thx...
Chuck

Does anyone know how casting brass differs from casting bronze?

Chuck

cfellows said:
Does anyone know how casting brass differs from casting bronze?

Chuck
As I understand it (I've not tried it, but have been reading up on it), brasses have a higher melting temperature and can lose zinc during the peocess, whereas some of the bronzes (silicon bronze for one) melt easier and don't lose zinc in the process. Silicon bronze ends up harder to machine though.

I always though Brass was Copper - Zinc while Bronze is Copper - Tin
(sometimes with other things added as in Silicon)
...lew...

HI brass and bronze are much the same to cast with the exception that brass must be pigged with out exception or youl end up with slag in the brass. Zinc is lost but not with one or two melts. A plug of aluminum plunged will help the slag n muck to come to the surface.

Bronze tends to flow a little less easily but fills a hole nicely all the same.

Cheers kevin

Chuck, I think Brass and bronze are about the same to cast. As far as ramming up the patterns and things like that I have found no difference. I'm planing on trying some of these in yellow Brass also.

Here is a picture of a 3" and 4" pattern that have machined.
CurvedSpokeFlywheel021.jpg

I have a couple others planed.

It looks like you are getting it down. Be careful, you may end up supplying all of us with flywheels. :wink: Thanks for taking the time to share all of this with us.

Here is a fuzzy picture of my new design. I'm excieted about this one. I really like how it turned out.

CurvedSpokeFlywheel022.jpg

These are a bit over 4" and 6" in diameter. I'll try and get them cast soon.

Later, Wes

Powder keg said:
Here is a fuzzy picture of my new design. I'm excieted about this one. I really like how it turned out.

CurvedSpokeFlywheel022.jpg

These are a bit over 4" and 6" in diameter. I'll try and get them cast soon.

Later, Wes

Very nice, having a cnc really lets you make some sweet stuff.

Wes, just notice this thread. great work and thanks for documenting it all. the 4" single curve is my favorite. So, are you in te flywheel business yet :D . Sorry to sound like nanny, but please get some safety goggles, it would be bad if something sputtered on the pour

I'm planing on selling them. I just need to finish up some stuff around here first.

I have a new face shield, leather sleeves, and a full length leather apron to wear now. Thanks for calling me on that:O) I'll take a picture of my new gettup when the chance presents itself.

Wes

Back