cubify ??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Has anyone worked with the new cubify design package ?? from what I see this is the replacement for the hobby level Alibre personal addition.
The one thing I see as a possible improvement is the ability to export to a 3-D printer or CNC. so will this produce G-code or is the same as before do a drawing and then export into CAM.
Tin

In the old Alibre they had there own CAM module. $1000. I still have alibre and will never upgrade. There prices on maintance are not hobby friendly any more. Last mail i got was $159 a year.

I went back and looked some more. Looks like they are refering to stl files for output and machines systems that accept these files like there printers. other 3-d Printers. there service division that will 3-d print or machine a part,or cam software.
I know what you mean I have been paying $ 99 a year that is plenty in my book for a hobby.
Tin

Tin
There are a group of excellent Cubify tutorials on YouTube by a guy named Cubifyfan.
I watched some last night. Looks like a good piece of software.
Two problems for me.
Can't print the drawings with (or without) dimensions. Looks like it is pretty much made to send part to 3D printer.
No Mac version. I'm perfectly happy to run Marv's programs in Windows but I have to boot my MacBook Pro into Windows. A CAD package is something I'd want to use natively in OSX. Just my quirk.

Stan : Alibre had really confused things. Cubify express is a new specialty product and like you said will not produce drawings. Cubify design is the replacement for the Albre personal edition and will do 3-d drawings .
You have to google Ablibre CAD to find the cubify design info And i have seen no pricing on it.
free trial here http://www.alibre.com/products/hobby/alibre-design-pe-output.asp if you want to try it.
Geomagic is the replacement for Albre professional and expert.

Tin

Thank, Tin
Geomagic Design looks good but only runs in emulation on a Mac. I'll stick with my TurboCad Pro for now until these companies realize that there are other operating systems (Linux and Mac) and they may be losing some sales.

Three years ago I bought into the Albre CAD on the $99 deal . Have mostly been happy with it. Except for the subscription fees. Two years ago I renewed for two years. I am guessing It was about a year ago they sold to 3d systems.
I downloaded and have been using geomagnetic since that time. And my subscription expired . Now the program has expired will not boot.
So I call 3-d systems Geomagic to see what I need to do to renew, I get automated voice mail, so I try again still no living person.

SO I call 3D systems /Cubify and talk to a person it seems these are two separate businesses as I talk to a person immediately and it seems I need to purchase Cubify Design for $199 but it is a lifetime licence yes I know the lifetime of of the software but maybe I can get at least 3-4 years out of it.

I only feel a little used here. se la vi. weird though better service and a toll free number from the hobby division of the company.

Tin

You also need to be aware that Alibre PE won't open Cubify Design files as they are a newer version but Cubify will open older Alibre files. Both will output drawings with or without dims and STL files.

Have a word with Jo over on the other side she has just had to upgrade to Cubify due to a new computer, thats why I can no longer open her files.

J

You also need to be aware that Alibre PE won't open Cubify Design files

Kind of mute as I upgraded to geomagic when my licence was active thought that was the right step at the time now the program will not even open need to uninstall and trash it.

So I guess the question is will cubify invent open files generated by geomagic ?

I was told by the cubify rep that files generated by cubify invent currently can not be opened by cubify design but they are working on changing that.

Also there is no upgrade path from cubify invent to design they are different products and i expect sculpt is the same. eeks.

Tin

Like you blokes, I started with Alibre PE which was just perfect for hobby work - good price, excellent tutorials and good support. Only thing was that you needed to pay for annual support if you wanted to move it to another machine. And, of course, you could not transfer and open drawings on the workshop computer.

Once Cubify got their hands on it, they started screwing us over for more money and more upgrades. And there is the compatibility issue between versions.

Worst of all, we are locked in because the .PRT files are proprietary so we can't read them with other CAD programs.

I am not amused.

Jim

Tin,

I haven't used Cubify Design, but I do have the Cubify Invent program, which, though limited in functions, I find very simple & easy to use. I output the designs in STL format for use with my 3D printer (Afinia).

There are some video tutorials on the Cubify web site for Design - I haven't looked at them, but they might answer your questions.....

A couple other products they offer have my attention - The Sculpt software looks like it might have some intriguing possibilities, but the 3D scanner looks really interesting ....will have to keep an eye on that.....

Tim

Not amused indeed. Other example of a company selling and reorganizing repackaging a product. Ok they can do that but what about communicating with the customers. I admit have not been actively checking the e-mail account I have. My fault but when I did check the e-mails there was a sale price for upgrades about a month ago and reminder to renew my subscription to a phone number that they do not anew.
IMHO there should have been better communication and an option to buy into the new comparable product at Educational rates or 50 % discount.

I have tried a couple OS cad packages not great to work with but free.

I have looked at a couple tutorials . Interesting and learned from them . My real question is why do I have to pay out $200 for a hobby product when I have already paid out $300.
ARG
Tin

Hi Tin,

It seems odd that your Geomagic Personal Edition, I think that is what you have, would no longer run whe3n your maintenance ended. I'd expect you'd just not get upgrades or support. You didn't reach a person at Geomagic, but would it be worth trying again to reach that wing of the company to ask about what has happened to you. The whole process from Alibre to Geomagic to Cubify has been confusing, especially the licensing. Did the Cubify person have an answer as to why your software no longer opens?

I'm running Geomagic Personal Edition and have some grandfathered features based on money I've paid in the past upgrading Alibre. My maintence is current so should be moved into Geomagic Design Elements when I get around to changing over.

Great software, but maintenance is getting pretty tough on some of these packages at $300 a year or so. I guess programmers have to eat too.

Has anyone else on HMEM had similar treatment?

Good luck,

Chuck

The whole process from Alibre to Geomagic to Cubify has been confusing, especially the licensing.

Agreed !!
Did the Cubify person have an answer as to why your software no longer opens?
I gave the run down to the Cubify rep . I was told that cubify and Geomagic are not compatible and need to completely uninstall geomagic and install cubify design.

Great software, but maintenance is getting pretty tough on some of these packages at $300 a year or so. I guess programmers have to eat too.
That is what GM wanted me to do is pay $299 to upgrade not happening .
Tin

Remember the days when you bought a program and actually got a cd to load on your computer?? what ever happend to that??

Tin,
Do I understand this right, Alibre > Geomagic > Cubify? About a year ago my laptop crashed and I needed to reinstall Alibre, I had problems. I stewed over it till Monday called the tech line straightend everything out and I'm still up to speed. I bought it as a package Expert 2011 and Sprutcam. More than a year ago they sent me the renewal notice and I thought I can skip this and buy a new one in three years. This year they sent a message that if I renewed then for an extra $100 they would forgive last years lapse, I considered emailing back saying drop 2-300 off that and you have a deal, but inaction got the best of me.
Art

I think the Alibre > Geomagic is correct, but that Cubify is a branch off of that to support 3D printers and is not meant to be in the Geomagic line. I think they are still aiming Geomagic at the markets that Alibre followed.

I bought Alibre Pro a few years ago, for serious money- I think it was about $1500. I even paid the yearly fee a couple times, but then stopped. My Alibre version still works, and the license expire date is in 2100, which I expect is longer than I will live.

My fear about upgrading is that since the company that bought Alibe is really a 3D printer company the Geomagic line of general purpose CAD is not in their central interest. How long will they maintain it, and how seriously? I tried to call the sales line to get this clarified but could never get through to a human. I then sent the question in to the support line and got back the answer that since my maintenance was not current they could not answer questions- a really stupid answer when the question was how do I get back on support.

Oh well, its just a hobby and I dont NEED Geomagic.

Back