Crucible question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tel, is crucible wash the same as refractory wash? I have no idea what either of them are, read it before though. Can you make your own? do you need it with clay graphite crucibles?

Brock

I only use it on the steel ones Brock. Take around 25% Borax and 75% fireclay, add enough water to make a creamy slurry and to got it. Paint it on, inside and out and let it dry properly before use - you'll probably need to re-do it every 3 or 4 melts.

More clay I need to get. Potter joint sell fire clay i suppose?
Brock

I bought my castable refractory from a company in Kwinana called Mowatt Refractories.
That was about 10 years ago, dunno if they are still there. Might be worth a look in the yellapages.

Yeah the 'Builder's Clay' will work, or, failing that a potter's supply will have plenty of the 'real' stuff.

If Mowatt doesn't have the fire clay, I think Bunning$ has it for repairing cracks in fireplaces and woodfired ovens etc... don't think it will be cheap tho.

EDIT: a quick google for "Bunnings fireclay" got quite a few hits... all contradictory on size and price.
Have read the bags are available in 25kg and also read that they are 20kg.
One price was $10 for the bag, another said $14.
Whatever it is... seems like a good price, if it is real fireclay.

A search on the Bunnings website was useless, no result for a product search for "fire clay" or "fire cement"
But then I got zero result for just "cement", so thats a pretty good indicator of the usefulness of their search engine! ::)

Great discussion and info on bronze casting. What bronze alloy are you using?
Are you using scrap?

thanks, Mike

woodnut said:
Thanks Dale

Great Video! I am sure I seen this before when looking through the posts before I jointed. I watched it again anyway. I think a steel crucible would the easiest and cheapest route to go for now. The job is a small run of tile inserts, just not sure on the size of them yet.
Just have to find someone to weld it for me? There should a welding place around here somewhere. Off to Google.

Thanks

John
I went to scrap yard and picked up a defunct Oxy cylinder and just cut bottom off, makes a great heavy crucible with no seams to worry about :D

Latest posts

Back