Crowning a pulley for a flat belt question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimDobson

Reaction score
Crowning a pulley for a flat belt, been trying on some ali before moving onto brass using the top slide set at 1° + and then set at 1° - and it ain't an easy exercise to achieve a simple crowned pulley!

Any hints on how to do this? I thought this was going to be really simple, its kicking my arse!

Find the center length-wise and mark a line all around with marker. Attach pulley to shaft with set screws and hold shaft in 3 jaw on lathe. Set compound rest to 1 degree and bring cutting tool in to just touch the center of the pulley. Use compound rest handle to move cutting tool from center out to end of pulley. -That's one side done. Now release 3 jaw chuck, put other end of shaft into the chuck and repeat step 1.

Find the center length-wise and mark a line all around with marker. Attach pulley to shaft with set screws and hold shaft in 3 jaw on lathe. Set compound rest to 1 degree and bring cutting tool in to just touch the center of the pulley. Use compound rest handle to move cutting tool from center out to end of pulley. -That's one side done. Now release 3 jaw chuck, put other end of shaft into the chuck and repeat step 1.

G'day Brian, I should have been a lot more clearer mate.
I'm trying to make (in the end) a drive pulley out of brass approx 1" in diameter and 1" wide and bored for a 6mm shaft out of bar stock with just a gentle crown in the middle to take a small flat belt (its to drive a model steam accessory).
Chucked up the brass and thought it would be a super simple and quick job. Found out that it wasn't working out like that and stopped wasting brass and went to ali to try and work out how to do it.
Not sure if I'm just having a brain fart here, but its got me stuffed.

I'm thinking of trying your idea out by boring for the axle, inserting some rod with Loctite retaining compound on it and leaving enough for the chuck sticking out each end. Doing what you describe and then heating it up to break the Loctite retaining compounds grip.

Machinist Hand book has great section on flat belt pulleys.

Dave

Crowning a pulley for a flat belt, been trying on some ali before moving onto brass using the top slide set at 1° + and then set at 1° - and it ain't an easy exercise to achieve a simple crowned pulley!

Any hints on how to do this? I thought this was going to be really simple, its kicking my arse!

Thanks all, managed it finally, that camber is 1.5° -

51002237401_4d13c89d8a_b.jpg

Back