Cross slide bushes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrolin

Reaction score
Hey guys. Bought an old sebastian lathes. Seems to be in good shape ive managed to remove all play in bed. Have an issue with the cross slide it has what i guess i would call a bush running down the length of one side.. wondering if i can buy these or if its going to be custom made
20200308_163831.jpg
20200308_163825.jpg
20200308_163811.jpg
20200308_163810.jpg
20200308_163806.jpg

What you describe as a 'Bush' is known as a Gib Strip. It is used to remove play in (this case) the cross slide. The cross slide should have a number of set screws that bear against the gib strip that should be adjusted to remove sideways play, but not so tight as to prevent free movement of the slide.

I doubt you will be able to purchase a ready made replacement, so making a new one will occupy a little of your time. The existing one should be able to be used for this job.

Basically, start off with a length of good quality steel and machine off two sides to 30 degrees, so that when it lying as in your photos, the top and bottom are level.

To get an idea of the cross section required, put the cross slide back on without the gib strip and measure the gap (height and width) When made there will be just a few clearance to allow for adjustment and ensure that the new gib strip does not rub on the saddle. It will be a good idea to put some dimples on the new piece where the grub screws bear; these prevent the gib from not sliding with the cross slide.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Maybe there is provision for checking with 2 sets of feeler gauges and when the gap is established, fit appropriate shims. The other possibility is the use of things like modern use of things such as Turcite and Moglice.
When I put my old Myford in for slideways grinding etc, the worn saddle on the narrow guide principle was Turcited by professional machine reconditioners. The only demerit as far as I can see is that Turcite picks up and embeds swarf if one is not careful.

Of at a wee small tangent. I my 'as new' Myford Super7B with the power cross slide is in position but I'm sorting out the new wiring harness from the gummed up and dirty oiled existing one.
So this morning one of my appointed executors was introduced to the new-ish one and had a lesson in how to know the possible prices which equivalent reconditioned Myfords can bring. When as they say in Yorkshire 'when I have popped my clogs' He was 'gob smacked'o_O

Latest posts

Back