• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cronite Pantograph Engraving Machine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkedout

Reaction score
OK... I used to work at an engraving print shop. We did high end engraving and embossing on nice linen and high-cotton stocks for executives, government papers, etc.

We did lithography / thermography work too, but that's boring. :)

Unfortunately, engraving is a dying art. It's beautiful work, but just too expensive and time consuming to be competitive with other print methods... especially with current economic pressures.

Well, this piece of equipment has been 'well loved"... and in storage for a few years now.
My company got rid of (4) of them, and I put dibs on one.

I had hoped of restoring it or using it's components in a project.
Unfortunately, time got away from me a bit, and I've never had the time to do anything with it.

Rather than dump this in a scrap heap (it's a neat piece of equipment), I want to offer this piece to someone who could either use it for its intended purpose, or, better yet, do something awesome with it.

I work for a company where I can get cheap rates in shipping large items through Old Dominion / Con-Way / USF-Reddaway / etc.. and I have a work-shop where I can crate this up safely. Shipping anywhere in the lower 48 is no problem for me.

I'd be willing to entertain any fair offers on this as I hate to see it degrade.
There's a little bit of flash rust on the thing now, and it will require some disassembly / cleaning / re-assembly.
I'll go snap photos of the thing so you can see what I'm talking about and post those ASAP.

Anyone have any interest in using components in this for something cool?
I'd even be open to bartering the piece (although, not the shipping) for someone's expertise in helping with one of my projects, if that's doable.

Please don't let it die. It's sitting in my folks barn right now, and they're losing patience with me keeping it stored there. :D

How big is this machine? can you post pictures of it?
thanks
R

Always thought pantographs were cool.
Post the make and model, please.
And photos.
Location.

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies!

I'm planning on heading over to my folk's place to get a couple shots of it tonight (if possible).

Again, I'm very flexible on pricing for the unit itself.
I could use a little extra cash (couldn't we all), so if you'd like to pay for it in cash, that's great. Otherwise, if you're a good metalsmith, and you're willing to barter parts for this thing, I'm open to that too.

Even better: You have an OLD mini-lathe or mini-mill you just don't use any more and want to cross-ship with me... I will build an altar in your honor... and sacrifice virgin guinea pigs on it weekly... or something.

Maybe you're into squirrels... I can deal with that too. :D

Regarding shipping. I don't have a current quote on what this would cost to crate up and ship, but if we get to a point where folks are interested in it, I can get that price. I just ask that you cover my shipping costs. I'll be totally transparent on that.

My goal here is that someone, somewhere does something VERY cool with this thing.

cl350rr said:
How big is this machine? can you post pictures of it?

With the thing mounted ON the desk it had worked on since the late 60s, it's about 5' tall.
The unit has a pedal activated lift (that pulls the diamond cutter off the media) that passes down through the desk to a little pedal... of all things. :D

SO, this could be unmounted off the desk and I'd say it's roughtly 30" - 36" tall.

Regarding the pics... I just got confirmation that I'll be able to get some shots of it tonight.
I'll take as many as I can and post the best ones that represent this thing correctly.

Just so it's clear... This panograph is for the engraving industry.
So, it takes right-reading text and reverses it to wrong-reading (the image that is engraved into the copper engraving plate is a mirror image of the stencil or pattern you're engraving on).

I would imagine this thing may be nice for scratching scroll work onto someone's sweet-assed engine block. :) Or... you can print out some text in reverse (using your computer) and use that as a guide to engrave a small plate above.

Anyway... more to come on this.

OOPS!

Sorry guys, I posted this in the wrong forum.

Thanks mklotz for moving it! :D

OK... so I have the details on this machine.

It's a Cronite Pantograph. Again, it's got some flash rust on it that I think I'll repair before trying to sell this.

Here's a link to a for-sale thread: (can't get the link to work right... ) :(
I seem them for sale from anywhere around $1,400.00 to $2,500.00

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=cronite+pantograph&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]Google Search Link[/ame]

I'm surprised at how well reviewed this machine is.

I'm uploading photos now.

EDIT: Here are a few photos:

Looks like the rust needs some attention... I think this is a good chance for me to learn how to clean up stuff like this. :D

LOL... OK

I'm in Portland Oregon...
I'll add it to my profile too. :)

... there... done

I have no idea of it's worth. If I had space I'd try to buy it from you. I used a table version of an engraver years ago for control panel labels. Yours looks quite different.

I've seen pricing anywhere from 1400 to 2500 online, but with the surface rust on here, I'm guessing it'd sell for the low end.

Everything is functional on this, there are no broken gears or knobs or anything.

I'm going to unmount it from the desk it's on, and clean it up.

Any suggestions on cleaning up flash rust like this? I'm thinking a media blaster may do, but not sure if that'd be best.

Of course, I'd need to BUY the media blaster. :)

I've been reading up on this.
Looks like Naval Jelly would do the trick.

It's time to get this baby fired back up. :)

probably too late now.
Evaporust is ideal. It's about $20/gallon

Otherwise electrolytic de-rusting is almost as good.

Hello Perkins.
I do. I've replied to your private message.

Thanks for checking.

~ co
Edit: replying from a cell phone typo fix...

Hello Lewis,
I have received and replied to your inquiry as well.

Thanks for checking in!

~ co

Soak it for two days in vinegar, no more rust and everything will turn and move again. De-grease it first.

Mark T

By chance do you still have the cronite available? I realize this is about six years after the first post.

Back