Creators Vertical Oscillating Engine Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
After many months of other projects, I got the bug to build another steam engine.

This casting kit came from Myers Engine Works.

Cretors_1_large.jpg

Their kits aren't the best in the world, but they're relatively inexpensive for the size of the engines. In fact, the casting I'm starting with doesn't fully match the prints, so the plans are more like guides than requiring strict adherence.

Anyways, I'll be posting pictures as I go along and build this thing.

A note: My lathe has a 12" swing and I needed every bit of that swing for the way I machined the main frame shown below.

...Ved.

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

DSC01443.jpg

DSC01444.jpg

Fine. Screw it.

I'm not really interested in doing a full, in depth build log at this time. It can take significant effort and this engine is just a little side project.

So I guess I won't be putting up any more pictures. If all I'm going to get is complaints, it's not worth it.

...Ved.

This casting kit came from Myers Engine Works.

... the casting I'm starting with doesn't fully match the prints, so the plans are more like guides than requiring strict adherence.
...Ved.

I know what you mean about Myers plans being just a guide. I've got the Improved Rider that I'm trying to get my head around.

For the majority of readers, please keep posting pictures and some notes of your build.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I thought the pics you posted were great and, hopefully, the start of a few more. Maybe not a full log but some scenic spots along the way....

Pete

Ved.
Please keep posting because I have this kit and I'm very interested in your setups. I am sure there are quite a few of us out there that want to see this project through to completion.
Lonnie

Ok,

After the b_tchfest that was the result Blogwitch's rant over my minimal text posting, I guess I'll continue the build. Please, if you don't like the way I document this build, don't read it. It's just much easier that way.

Now onto the pictures. This is the machining of the cylinder.

Actually I botched it up pretty good. When I was drilling out the bore, first I was off center. Second, I finished the bore with my boring head. The results were terrible.

The end result was that I transferred the part to the lathe and over-bored it there. So I may have lost my perpendicularity from the pivot shaft to the bore.

I won't know until the engine is assembled. If it is too screwed up, I'll put a spherical rod end on the piston rod to compensate.

Also, because of the overbore, if I cannot drill/tap the cylinder for cylinder caps, I guess I'll make larger ones and hold them on via tie rods.

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

DSC01456.jpg

Onto the crankshaft bore.

The hard part here is the final drilling/reaming. The frame will deflect under the drilling operation. So it's important to back up the frame.

Most everything here is done to fit. Aren't castings fun?!?!

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01459.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01462.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

I,m no rocket scientist but even I can follow what you are doing...keep up the good work..following with much interest.....clem

Now onto the flywheel.

I like flywheels. Other than the center bore, there's nothing critical about them, so I can just cut and not worry about sizing. It just needs to look as good as I wish...

DSC01468.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

DSC01470.jpg

DSC01471.jpg

DSC01472.jpg

DSC01473.jpg

Next up, the base. I just cleaned up the surfaces.

Then I eyeballed the best position for the frame mounting screws. Then scribing with my calipers (2.90 inches), I transferred the hole position from the frame to the base.

DSC01474.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

DSC01476.jpg

DSC01477.jpg

DSC01478.jpg

DSC01479.jpg

Timing Ports:

This part is critical and I have only one chance of getting it right.

First of all: DO NOT FOLLOW THE PRINTS!!!!

Do it to what you have.

So I created a scribe out of a small piece of brass. I then inserted the scribe into the cylinder ports. After that assemble the engine and slowly turn the engine scribing the port travel on into the frame.

This is where you should not machine. The machining should be to the areas that are not scribed, with a bit of overlap onto the scribes.

I hope the pictures show what's going on. If you don't get it, please ask.

DSC01481.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

DSC01485.jpg

DSC01486.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

DSC01489.jpg

Now onto a preliminary video.

As expected, the engine leaks, knocks, etc. and the video shows that. After some adjustment and breaking in the engine ran much better and I got the flywheel oscillation out.

Pressure is about 10-15 psi here in the video. Later on, I got it down to about 7 psi.

Onto painting, but that's another day...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR4GcZJ3tFw[/ame]

Nice job machining this model. Thank you for deciding to continue showing your machining setups. I need to get started on my kit soon. I'm 67 years old and have too many projects and not enough time to get them all done.
Lonnie

Next up...

In preparation for painted, I used a Dremel tool with the rotary burr to remove the casting flash. I did this while the engine was assembled so I only removed the flash where it was noticeable. Also, I'm not some nut about perfect blending and smooth surfaces.

After all, 150 years ago they didn't do it, so why now?

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01495.jpg

DSC01496.jpg

Thanks Matt, but it's not yet done.

Today I disassembled and prepped for painting. It'll probably get a coat next weekend then my wife can put on embellishments.

Then it'll turn into the mantle dust collector it was destined to be.

...Ved.

Absolutely loved your Myers Oscilating engine Machining pics. Don't be discourage by a sour grape or two, appreciate you posting the pics and comments. I have been considering purchase of that kit but will probably avoid as I only have a 10" swing lathe. Keep up the great work!
Bob

Latest posts

Back