crank shaft

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dethrow55

Reaction score
hello all new to the group and looking at building the hoglet. was wondering if there is a good alturnative to the bronze flywheel rings ? does weight matter ?anyway this will be my first build ...thanks james:fan:

hello all new to the group and looking at building the hoglet. was wondering if there is a good alturnative to the bronze flywheel rings ? does weight matter ?anyway this will be my first build ...thanks james:fan:
Welcome dethrow55

You do not have to use bronzerings on the crankshaft. Steel will be ok. If you have been in my neighborhood I could have got you some bronze.
The Hoglet is a nice engine to build. You can find plenty building logs here at the forum. Any questions? Just ask.
CS

Any metal with a similar specific density to bronze will do. I used cast iron instead of bronze for the flywheel rims. Cast irons specific density is roughly 85%-ish of bronze so rims were made slightly oversize to compensate for the lost mass.

There are two other parts on the Hoglet that can be troublesome to source, the kickstart clutch bearing and the kickstart return spring.
A quick eBay search for "one way needle bearing" will sort out the clutch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC040708-On...963217?hash=item41731a1451:g:Wp0AAOxyJ8ZRiNkf

"recoil spring spare" (in the radio controlled car section) fixes the other.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-517...366481?hash=item3d0c0fca51:g:RsEAAOSwHPlWcer3
Or walk into any RC toy store and ask if they happen to have a broken spring to sell you. Pay no more than $5.

Good luck on the build.

allright good deal. can use all the help i can get.this will be my first build hope i didnt chew off more than i can handle, but looking at the plan i know i can build it. great group thanks.:)

Reactions: P.J

Latest posts

Back