Craig list find

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gld

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found these Sherline items on Craigslist last week. Drove 6 hours one way to collect. The lathe has had some use, but shows no wear. The mill looks like it was never used.

Pic01_640X480.jpg

Pic02_504X672.jpg

Pic03_489X652.jpg

Pic04_600X800.jpg

Pic05_660x495.jpg

Pic06_489X652.jpg

A lot of the accessories have never been used.
$1500 for all

That was a real good deal. Sherline products maintain their value. I had a brass bed 8"Sherline lathe 40 years ago I got from Sears for $199.95 and bought accessories through the next 2 years. When I went to bigger machinery I put it all on Ebay. Sold it to a guy in Indonesia for $695.00. So at today's prices I would say you got a great deal.

I knew Ron Sher the inventor of the lathe and mill back here in Melbourne Australia in 1980 in fact we were partners in a new and used engineering equipment business in those years. The machines were made here in Australia By Ron's business and were very poor quality(no CNC). In fact we had a pile of lathe and mill parts to sell in our business which we almost gave away. Ron told us at the time he had tried to sell the range to Sears Roebuck at the time and they wanted stock backup of a 1000 units and Ron had no way of suppling this capacity and he commissioned the manufacturing to Joe Martin in the US to make the units. Joe having the capacity and the expertise to accomplish this. The inventor Ron Sher is still alive in Melbourne to my knowledge. Ron registered the name "Sherline" and may still enjoy some benefits to this day. He has an agency for the equipment in Australia. (A bit of history) johwen John.

Great find! They're capable of very high precision right out of the box and I use mine for small parts all the time.

My Sherline mill was a similar deal, but I only drove 3 hours each way to get it and it wasn't in as good shape.

Mine was surplus from a high school over there, a CNC Learning Center by Paxton/Patterson. It had one bad axis on the controller, so I had to get a replacement and ended up rebuilding it. Which was OK because I learned a ton about how to build CNC machines and I completely rebuilt it.

Bob

I bought 2 complete sets for 2 sets of my grandchildren. They machines are very nice and do a good job for their size capability. Plus they do not take up much space in their home. My daughters, their mothers, like that.

Great find! I found something similar, with most of what you have, a few years back, and had to drive only 2 hours each way. And the price was so low that I almost felt guilty.😏

BTW, the threading attachment looks silly and is hand-operated, but it works just fine. I used it to make an oddball threaded bolt that I couldn't find anywhere.

Great find, I get several things off there list, some people sell off Mon and Dad's things or an older couple cleaning out what they call junk, I got this Unimat on there with two boxes of things, has the mill drill and wood working thinks and even the original letter that he wrote to Popular Mechanic on how to find Unimate, got if for 50.00 dollars, they had not idea what they had, like Bob said great for little parts, glad you got it, Joe

Attachments

• IMG_5095.jpg
    IMG_5095.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 225
Back