Craftsman 109 Spindle Adapter (Or, I cannot believe I was afraid of threading!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm late to this party but I have a neglected 109 that's new to me. I'm interested in the imported 1/2 x 20 threaded chuck that was available on ebay; a more compact design. I don't see a listing for one or the seller. Since I don't know his exact name I tried 800 watt & 800watt; no luck.

Are the chucks still available or does someone know his ebay ID?

Thanks,
Ray

RC....

Sorry I'm late to the party....

IT seems 800watt is gone or has changed usernames. I have not seen any of the little scroll chucks on FeeBay to directly fit the old 109. I have seen some NOS and used chucks that fit. And of course there is always the Bison chucks at $460!!!

I'm working on an adapter to attach the little 2" chucks that are all over FeeBay to the 109. (if anybody else here cares)

Cheers!

--
Mike

TW I think people care. While the 109 may not be the most usable ,most popular vintage hobby lathe it is a piece of history that deserves preservation. And IMHO machine tools deserve use and exercise .
the biggest down side of these machines is affordable tooling an accessories.

There was a guy least week wanting info on these machines as he is restoring one.
Tin

TW I think people care. While the 109 may not be the most usable ,most popular vintage hobby lathe it is a piece of history that deserves preservation. And IMHO machine tools deserve use and exercise .
If you expect to keep,them in working order.
the biggest down side of these machines is affordable tooling an accessories.
I know this has been a huge problem personally for me. It is easy to buy the base machine but getting everything you need to make that machine useful is expensive. This is more so on a mill than a lathe but they both have their issues.

This is one reason I will be looking at CNC when I actually do get that mill as it effectively eliminates the need for many tools or accessories. I'm still debating if it is worth it on my 9x20.
There was a guy least week wanting info on these machines as he is restoring one.

Tin

I haven't spent much time on E-bay at all, I really try to avoid it. There are alternatives though, I know there was a guy in New England running a business selling all sorts of used lathes and parts. One just needs to practice a bit on Google.

There are a couple of groups dedicated to the old 109 family of lathes on Yahoo Groups.

I'm a moderator on one group. In the years since I've been working with machine tools I've developed a soft spot for the much maligned 109 lathe. Yep, it's small, it's weak and it's not very well made. But they sold tens of thousands of them. Over the years I've made parts and accessories for the 109. Once my shop gets back up and running I'll be devoting more time to that pursuit.

Back