• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Craftsman 109-E-Bay

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
For sale on e-bay. no not mine
this thing is nicly painted appears to be in good shape. does not appear to have all the change gears. It does have an original manual. no extra tooling
over a day to go and up to $405 wow. A collectors Item ?? they are not super user friendly as a lathe.

Vintage-Sears-Roebuck-Craftsman-Metal-Lathe-Model-109-

and this one not painted medeorcre shape 2 days out $ 305 plus $100 shipping.
Craftsman-Atlas-model-109-metal-lathe
And A third 2 days out $385 plus shipping $95 this one has change gears and a drill chuck.
/Craftsman-Atlas-Model-109-Metal-Lathe-Accessories
take a look for kicks and giggles
tin

Hmm :
no backplate/faceplate combo, chuck or motor not a full set of gears and up to $280 OK.
these things are 50 - 60 years old or so. Yes old iron.
Tin

These little hobby lathes sold from around 1940 to 1960 or so the 1955 price was $ 49 with no chuck and no motor a 4 jaw chuck was $ 8.50 more and a 3 jaw a whopping $33 . this explains why the ones I have have 4 jaw chucks.
for hobby tools at the time the idea was to buy inexpensive tools an mount on a bench . each tool had a motor mount bolted to the bench and one would move the motor from one tool to another.

in contrast a new craftsman atlas shaper was $440. and a decently tooled 12" atlas lathe about the same.

Craftman tool catalogs herehttp://www.roseantiquetools.com/id116.html
Tin

"... for hobby tools at the time the idea was to buy inexpensive tools an mount on a bench . each tool had a motor mount bolted to the bench and one would move the motor from one tool to another. "

In the late 1950s my parents lived in neighborhoods where everyone had hobbies and projects going on. In one place the man next door had a lapidary and machine shop in his (dirt-floor) basement that was set up with one motor and small benchtop tools running on a home-made lineshaft system. He had machined all the special tooling and pillow block supports.

Definitely not a "Master-Card Mechanic."

--ShopShoe

Funny you should mention that. the 1931 Craftsman catalog shows just such a set up .. a complete woodworking shop . set up on a bench . A jointer , scroll saw. table saw wood lathe . flex shaft, wood lathe... all set on a bench with shafting. one motor mounted under the bench. all for under $60 Some assembly required??
Page 4 if you want to look.
http://www.roseantiquetools.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/craftsman1931.pdf
They also had lots more tools and accessories available ala cart and as add on some had built in motors for folks with money.
Although I can not imagine have much working room or a safe place to set any work on the top of the bench will all the tolls and belting it was fairly cheap way to set up a workshop.
tin .

The first one I posted has jumped to $ 500.00 plus shipping.
interesting.
Tin

The nicly painted one is up to $660.00 with an hour and a half to go.
bet the seller is dancing.
Tin

Tin, thanks for posting the link to the Sears tool catalog. There are some interesting old designs shown. On page 24 there is a 12 inch bandsaw with no blade guard. The guard is an optional attachment.

Regards,
Chuck

I actually gave one of these lathes to a friend on another forum, If i knew it could have sold for that much I think I would have painted it up and sold it on flea bay myself.

interesting lathe for someone in New Hampshire Interesting piece of old USA irion $400 BIN 4 hours to go
FMC Metal lathe

$(KGrHqZHJC4FCFeBRLt2BQqWyK2yf!~~60_57.JPG

cogs BTW that other one you posted went for over $200.
Tin

amazing what some paint can do!

Agreed classic Sherwin Williams rebuild. I hope the buyer does not have a cow when he gets a craftsman Dunlap instead of the craftsman atlas.
Tin

Maybe I'll get rid of my 1932 vintage Atlas 9" x 18"

click for bigger

I haven't used it since I got my 12" Monarch

I was given a 109 when I was about 14. Dad, an experienced machinist, set it up, turned it on, said "There it is" and walked away. I still have it, more or less complete, but some assembly would certainly be required in order to use it. I made a 20 tpi, left hand thread cross feed screw as a project in Vocational Machine Shop. So that problem has been addressed.

Still, I think the little miserable P'sOS should be outlawed. It definitely is a challenge. The best thing about it is the 4 jaw chuck and some say it is no good.

Bill

I have a couple in my basement. I have seen amazing projects made on them . But agree not the most user friendly lathe ever built.
Tin

Back