Craftex CT039 or B2227L

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandoz

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to*buy my first lathe. The last time I used a lathe was in high school shop class over 20 years ago but I have a few things I want to make and have the opportunity to buy the CT039 or the B2227L. I've done a little research on the two lathes and have found pros and cons on each. I was wondering if anyone has used them both and can help me out with my decision. There are a lot of good things I found on both.
​​​​​​​
Thanks

Given that capacity over the cross slide and length between centres length are close to identical I'd go for the one with the larger bore, if nothing else it gives you more choices of stock size where you don't have to chop off short sections to be able to work.
The only point where more through capacity becomes a problem is when the lathe gets large enough that RPM is limited and high RPM is nice to have for small jobs and some material/tooling combinations,
Regards,
Nick

Just a quick note as i dont have time at the moment to search out those lathes but if one of them has a bolted on chuck as opposed to a threaded spindle id go with the solidly mounted chuck.

I bought a generic 9x20, with a screwed on chuck and frankly it is frustrating. In an ideal world running the spindle in reverse should be as easy as running it forward.

Now that i got that off my chest a few other things to consider. A T-slotted cross slide is an advantage as is a tumbler reverse.

Hi The B227l is the least to go with
it's a great little machine trouble free and cheap.
I had all of them now I have a cx707
the best one CX709 worth every penny

I have the B227L. Very ruggedly built. got mine on sale several years ago.
Make certain to change the headstock oil b4 use and make certain that the gasket under the headstock cover plate is not "flopped" into the space. See
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/45494-Craftex-B227L-Lathe-Gearbox-noise-fix

Lead screw is 7 tpi - unusual but meets my needs.

It lacks a tumbler gear; L-hand threading is not possible unless home-built. Plans are out there.
The accessories (for eg steady rest, follower rest, faceplate) are used by (an)other lathe(s) in the Busy Bee system. That said, if required, I would not deliberate too long.

Few other posts: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/search.php?searchid=2685124 and general queries on the 'net/youtube should get a few more thoughts.

I was sure that I responded to this post before, but here it is again. the B2227L is a great lathe. I had one for many years, and I loved it.---Brian

Latest posts

Back