cowells/perris lathe collets

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtheauthor

Reaction score
Hi, I have bought a Cowells lathe. It is an early model which is based on a Perris. I want to buy a non Cowells collet to fit into the headstock. A bit new to this so l presume l need a drawbar too. I want to hold brass rods of between 1 and 2mm in diameter. Anyone know what make and model of collet/drawbar would fit such a machine?

I naturally called Cowells but they sensed that l want to buy non cowells kit as it would be cheaper so they are not forthcoming with any spec on the machine that l have. Any help appreciated.
Tim

Well Tim, step one. Find the serial number of the machine. I am sure there is a serial number registry some where.

I would also take a few measurements and compare it to known published specifications. Many of the Cowells were set up for 6mm or 8mm watchmakers collets. They are inexpensive individually. You might want to buy or borrow one just to see if it fits.

Reading throught the Perris register, most came with 1/2-20 spindle thread and #0 morse taper.
So you may have either....you will have to determine that...but google is your friend here.

Start reading and let us know how you make out.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/cowells/index.html

and here

http://www.lathes.co.uk/perris/

Tim,

I have a Cowells 90 lathe, around 25 years old, and it doesn't take collets in the same way as other "proper" watchmaker's lathes do. It has a 14 x 1.5mm spindle nose, bored through to 6.4mm and with a no.0 Morse taper inside the threaded nose. Newer models have a 14 x 1 mm nose.

I have a separate collet chuck which holds a non-standard collet and which Cowells no longer supply - the modern version uses modern commercially available collets - a much more sensible option. Smallest collet I have (from my limited collection) is around 3mm.

Hope this helps - or at least gives you a steer.

Thanks to both of you. i will research further as suggested and also see if l can buy some cheap kit to see if it fits. Still dont know if l need a drawbar or a collet chuck...
Tim

Latest posts

Back