COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
un named.jpg

Here in the UK, we have used 'meths' (methylated spirit) for cleaning wounds for decades. Older folk like me will remember the bottle of purple liquid, which stung briefly when applied to scratches and grazes, but sterilised the wound. Ethanol, with methanol added to make it undrinkable (i.e., unsafe to drink), plus the intensely bitter additive (so, unpleasant to drink). So I don't think that applying to the skin presents a problem.
Bill

Here in the UK, we have used 'meths' (methylated spirit) for cleaning wounds for decades. Older folk like me will remember the bottle of purple liquid, which stung briefly when applied to scratches and grazes, but sterilised the wound. Ethanol, with methanol added to make it undrinkable (i.e., unsafe to drink), plus the intensely bitter additive (so, unpleasant to drink). So I don't think that applying to the skin presents a problem.
Bill

I can't imagine occasional use would be an issue as most of us have had spills or whatever on our hands at one time or another, however using it regularly really isn't to be recommended.
"Alcohol-based hand rub (hand sanitizer) is heavily used in the community and the healthcare setting to maintain hand hygiene. Methanol must never be used in such a product because oral, pulmonary and/or skin exposures can result in severe systemic toxicity and even deaths. However, sporadic cases of acute poisoning indicate that alcohol-based hand rub with undeclared methanol may be found in the market from time to time. The unexpected presence of methanol poses a serious threat to public health." - Methanol as an Unlisted Ingredient in Supposedly Alcohol-Based Hand Rub Can Pose Serious Health Risk

Amid all the fuss about hand cleansers, alcohol and otherwise, it's worth looking up antivirals.
Unlike antibacterials, there are very few antivirals and those that exist target specific viruses.
The point of washing is to physically remove contamination from the skin.
Alcohol helps this process by dissolving oils, both those produced by the skin and those we pick up from elsewhere.
Any detergent will do this. It just takes a few seconds longer.

Ive have been self isolating for 3 weeks now so have been getting plenty jobs done
Downside is i now have 4 Myfords all finished and restored that i wont be able to sell
Been looking for jobs to do.Spent a day stripping/restoring and painting my bench vise
Also made a set of soft jaws for it.Having to make do with what matls i have as the
stores are now closed. Its a worrying time but anxiety is not a problem YET

Latest posts

Back