Coventry Compound Vertical Engine Drawings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgalvin

Reaction score
I’m looking for drawings of Coventry’s Compound Vertical Engine 1 1/4“ x 2 1/4“ x 1 1/2” . Hurricane Ida flooded my shop and the castings are ok but the drawings are toast. I‘ll glad pay any reproduction and postage costs.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,
Were you able to find drawings for the Coventry Engine?
I may have a copy, but I can't access them for a while.
Let me know if I can help and I will look.
Doug

I have copies of the original article in LIVE STEAM from December 1970. If that is useful let me know, your mailing address and I will get one on to you.

I have copies of the original article in LIVE STEAM from December 1970. If that is useful let me know, your mailing address and I will get one on to you.
I would appreciate copies too.
I'll he glad to reimburse your costs for copying and postage.
Thank you.
Doug Lanum
1080 Woodmere Rd.
Columbus, Ohio 43220

Hi Ron, This sounds like an interesting engine? With LP at 3.2 x the IP swept volume it may do well driving a generator with lots of HP superheated steam? - What is the planned steam input pressure, and running speed?
Can you post a picture of the GA drawing - just for the curious old sods like me?
Thanks,
K2

Is this it?
1634894636333.png

I have the full sized prints and the Live Steam copies as well. It will take a week or so to dig them out and see about reproduction. One thought is to scan them and convert to PDF so they could be emailed.

Hi Chris, just be wary of copywright... ? If you can list the magazines and dates, then they may be on back-issue. If no longer available, I think you may be OK... but I don't know the rules..!
[email protected] should be able to advise availability of back issues...??
"Drawings may be copied for personal use, but not distributed to others" - but I think that is only while the publishers can provide the back issues?

https://avaluers.org/explore/509549...6_issues__july___december__vol_4__no___7___12
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393093590972?hash=item5b86342fbc:g:xowAAOSwSaJf~cyc
K2

Last edited:
John K can help you, he has the original Coventry tracings...

http://www.friendsmodels.com/stationaryengines.html
I don't know how much the "Friends Yankee Shop" is going to help you.
They have a set of Coventry's drawings for the Stirling Single locomotive in 2.5" gauge, and wanted $800 to run a set off.
I got a set from Chris Barron at Loco Design Co, in England for about $50.
So good luck with Friends.

I have obtained drawings for the Coventry B&O D30 0-6-0 loco and the Coventry Compound marine engine. Happy with both. John K has also furnished several parts I was missing from my two kits.

If no longer available, I think you may be OK... but I don't know the rules..!

Copyright is not contingent on whether or not something is available for sale. The only legal course of action here is to contact the copyright holder and ask for permission to make/distribute a copy ... or better yet, to ask them to sell you a copy.

"How much did the plans cost?" I had some Friends Model castings (I am NOT a relation!) that I traded for both the Coventry D30 loco and the Compound drawings. I had a previous incomplete set from a Ray Riechenberg who had run an ad in Live Steam Magazine in 1995 for the Compound castings. Further correspondence with him indicated that he had drawings for the D30 loco and I purchased these. His drawings were blue lines made from other bluelines and were hardly readable. I also purchased a D30 boiler that he thought was made by Coventry. While Ray's stuff was a little rough (some original Coventry castings and some obviously pulled from castings used to make other castings) I have a complete Compound set. My D30 castings were purchased from a friend who thought they were a 3.5" Little Engines Pacific! Some investigation by me found them to be the Coventry D30 and somewhat incomplete. This was long before John Kurdzionak started reassembling the catalog of Friends Models and various pieces of Henry Coventry's designs. When John K started advertising in Live Steam, I contacted him and made the deal. His drawings are black line from the original (or near original) tracings and are very clear.

Of course, Coventry did the Compound in Live Steam from Dec 1970 to I think Dec 1972. These issues can be had for a couple of bucks each on eBay by searching "Live Steam". Both the Coventry originals and the Bill Fitt drawings prepared for the magazine will have to be examined for errors.

Photo's show my Compound and loco casting sets as originally received and current state of the loco...

John Friend

100_8773.JPG
100_7443.JPG
20210218_150642.jpg
20210705_120218.jpg

"How much did the plans cost?" I had some Friends Model castings (I am NOT a relation!) that I traded for both the Coventry D30 loco and the Compound drawings. I had a previous incomplete set from a Ray Riechenberg who had run an ad in Live Steam Magazine in 1995 for the Compound castings. Further correspondence with him indicated that he had drawings for the D30 loco and I purchased these. His drawings were blue lines made from other bluelines and were hardly readable. I also purchased a D30 boiler that he thought was made by Coventry. While Ray's stuff was a little rough (some original Coventry castings and some obviously pulled from castings used to make other castings) I have a complete Compound set. My D30 castings were purchased from a friend who thought they were a 3.5" Little Engines Pacific! Some investigation by me found them to be the Coventry D30 and somewhat incomplete. This was long before John Kurdzionak started reassembling the catalog of Friends Models and various pieces of Henry Coventry's designs. When John K started advertising in Live Steam, I contacted him and made the deal. His drawings are black line from the original (or near original) tracings and are very clear.

Of course, Coventry did the Compound in Live Steam from Dec 1970 to I think Dec 1972. These issues can be had for a couple of bucks each on eBay by searching "Live Steam". Both the Coventry originals and the Bill Fitt drawings prepared for the magazine will have to be examined for errors.

Photo's show my Compound and loco casting sets as originally received and current state of the loco...

John Friend

View attachment 130269View attachment 130270View attachment 130272View attachment 130273
Your loco looks very nice, and your workmanship also seems very good!

"Your loco looks very nice, and your workmanship also seems very good!" Thank you!

Here's a start on the Compound. The only aluminum is the base, the balance is iron or bronze.

John
100_9206.JPG
100_9208.JPG
100_9220.JPG
100_9223.JPG

Latest posts

Back