Counter Clockwise Spindle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I am trying to setup my new CNC version of my mill and one of the parameters is to turn on the spindle in counter clockwise direction.

Jack,
Many milling machines, like Bridgeport and BP clones, have a high low range gear in the head. When the low range is engaged the spindle reverses direction relative to the motor, so you have to start the motor in the reverse direction to get normal rotation.
Gail in NM

Rigid tapping, if you ever expand that far, requires driving the spindle in reverse, to get the tap out of the hole. ;D For most of us at home, CNC-controlled tapping is a distant dream.

Also, when long stringy drill swarf is unavoidable, I've added a quick M05 at the end of the drill cycle, to clear off the ball of steel-wool forming around the drill. ;D Again, not normally an issue at home... I only WISH I had an automatic tool changer on my own mill.
Still, The people making CNC interpreters like the Linux-based EMC have tried to expand the program to cover any possibilites, as its been used to run even very large industrial machines.

I have written and run programs that were to drive a large tap
where the mill spindle didn't have the torque to do the job.
The program was written to lock the mill spindle to a lathe condition
and turn the chuck spindle the number of turns to cut the internal
thread to depth. Then, an M04 code would reverse the chuck spindle
rotation to allow the tap to exit the hole. I run Mazak Mazatrol programs
where Tool Path Control entries are required in the program are required
to be sure the tool will return to it's home position without trying to go
through the work piece. That is the one + for G code. In G code you
have to program every move. Mazatrol is very much easier to program
but if you forget a TPC you are going to do a lot of damage to the machine
faster than you could ever hope to react.

Rick

What are left hand endmills for then? I see them occasionally in catalogs.

Back