Corian for spark plugs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This might be a good source for those wishing to make their own spark plugs. E-Bay might be a cost effective way to get the needed material for those that are in remote locations, or don't have any local source. Below is a link to one of many sellers. The color assortment in this auction would add a quite bit of visual interest, especially if it could be incorporated in another part of the build, like columns or other structural components.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290416047718&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

-MB

I don't know about fruity flavored spark plugs :big:

Does Corian Machine nice?, is it brittle?, what type of fit should it be in the metal part of the plug? What can be used as glue for it if the fit needs to be loose?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am about to made a batch of tiny spark plugs and am thinking about different options aside from the acetal (Delrin) that
I have.

Kel

PS. I just asked the seller If I can get 74 of one color. I am still awaiting a response.

kcmillin said:
I don't know about fruity flavored spark plugs :big:

Does Corian Machine nice?, is it brittle?, what type of fit should it be in the metal part of the plug? What can be used as glue for it if the fit needs to be loose?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am about to made a batch of tiny spark plugs and am thinking about different options aside from the acetal (Delrin) that
I have.

Kel

PS. I just asked the seller If I can get 74 of one color. I am still awaiting a response.

Hi Kel.

If you click on 'other items' the seller does offer smaller batches.

Sorry I can't answer you questions, I'm still doing research and haven't even attempted making a plug yet.

I did buy a Rimfire VR2L 1/4-32 for my first and future build. I know its a bit of a cop-out, but that's the decision I made.

If I do make any, it will be small one's that are not commercially available.

http://sparkplugs.morrisonandmarvin.com/

-MB

Does Corian Machine nice?, is it brittle?,

Yes to both. I have not made any spark plugs yet but . I have made several air engines with Corian.
It makes great bases and I have used it for standards and cylinders as well the wife made her "rosy" hearts shaped engine out of it. an I made Cory and engine made mostly of Corian the flywheel is laminated of three pieces .
I have also made many pen and pencil sets out of Corian.
remember do not breath the dust.
Tin

Most towns have someone making Corian countertops. I went to several cap in hand until I found one that simply gave me their "scraps". "How big? That small? Take what ever you want out of that garbage bin....".

And as Tin has said - don't breath the dust. I was warned to wear a mask and that the dust will fly about.

Cheers
Garry

kcmillin said:
Does Corian Machine nice?, is it brittle?
Kel,
It machines nicely but yes it is quite brittle and can "pick" like wood when the saw teeth exit the kerf. It's strong in compression but quick to fracture in tension. Being a poured material it can contain a "grain" of sorts. I have used Corian almond white for a number of bases and plugs and the grain, actually subtle changes in color as the plastic cures out, can appear as you cut diagonally across a section of sheet. You won't notice it on small bits. I've only used the off-whites so I can't comment on other colors.

I use a shop vac with a clean stream filter to suck up most of the dust. if you vac as you machine it will eliminate most of the dust and help keep the cutting tool cool.
Tin

I got a e-mail from the seller. He said there is no problem getting them all the same color. You must leave a note when purchasing.

Kel

Roland Gaucher of NEMES built plugs for his Bently BR2 from Corian and they work great!

Dave

Hello. I´m new in this business and I´d like to know more about Corian. Is it heat resistant enough to work as an insulator? easy to work with? How about PTFE?

Does anyone know where to buy corian in Melbourne?

Cheers,
Andrew in Melbourne

yes corian is ok for spark plug insulators. It machines much better than ptfe.

ozzie46

Try countertop/cabinet installers for scrap corian. The sink cut-outs are good sources, as well as the little bits of scrap as thy fit them. I did buy some pen blanks from the US on eBay but I have tracked down local installers here in Perth (tho I haven't contacted any yet). I imagine Melbourne should be similar to Perth.

Not that small but I did make a #6-56 thread plug that worked good until i droped it.

Hey Steve,
Your note didn't make it clear as to what occurred or meant when you "dropped it". As I recall, it was so small that it wouldn't have had enough energy from gravitational pull to actually "break" if it hit the floor unless you then stepped on it. So I for one am going to suggest that it got "lost" rather than broken. I could supply a really large magnifier to hunt for it if that helps. Hey, on the other hand you made it sound so easy to do, just spend another week and make a new one !! hahaha

Brian Lawson . . When I dropped it the corian cracked right at the base. It still looked good but it would short internally when under power.

Brian Rupnow . . . I don't have a lot of trouble with it. I use very sharp, very thin inserts for grooving to machine it. .032 is typical. Don't rush and don't take too deep a cut and they come out pretty good. It's probably the best thing to use that is affordable. I just purchased some for 10 bucks a square foot and I'm guessing I can make about 1000 insulators for #10-40 plugs with a square foot.

20181220_144517.jpg

Back