Copper alloy Identification chart

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice reference Steve!
I do see Beryllium Copper listed there.
Unless you have a flood coolant system capable of removing any chance of
airborn dust created any machining process, that is a material to avoid.

This in an excerpt from a Beryllium Copper MSDS Sheet.

Beryllium: Inhaling particulate containing beryllium may cause a serious, chronic lung disease
called chronic beryllium disease (CBD) in some individuals. Over time lung disease can be fatal.
Chronic beryllium disease is a hypersensitivity or allergic condition in which the tissues of the
lungs become inflamed. This inflammation, sometimes with accompanying fibrosis (scarring),
may restrict the exchange of oxygen between the lungs and the bloodstream. Medical science
suggests that CBD may be related to genetic factors.

Beryllium: The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) lists beryllium as a Group 1 –
Known Human Carcinogen. The National Toxicology Program (NTP) lists beryllium as known to
be human carcinogens. The ACGIH lists beryllium as an A1 – Confirmed Human Carcinogen.

It IS that nasty and needs to be taken seriously!
If you'd like to read the complete MSDS it can be viewed here. Beryllium Copper MSDS

Rick

Rick
I'd caught your warning on the nasty stuff in an earlier thread and I had mine checked.... red copper. It never hurts to repeat such important warnings, so thanks for the information.

Steve

Is there a good way to check and see if what you have is Beryllium Copper ?

One of the local scrap yards has the capability to ID the metal content from a sample. They don't like the stuff either...LOL. I took a piece with me and asked them to check it. I still work it wet with oil as an added precaution.

Steve

Latest posts

Back