Quantcast

Cooling water for small engine !

Help Support HMEM:

minh-thanh

Reaction score
Hi Everybody !
What kind of water do you use for cooling ?
Thanks !

kuhncw

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
I use glycol and water (50%) in my Silver Bullet throttled engine as this should help keep the cast iron cylinder liners from rusting. I don't use any coolant in my hit and miss engines.

Chuck

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
I use the same stuff I use for machining called TRIM. And I also use nothing in the hit miss engines.

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
Steve do you use the pre mix or do you use the consecrate I see on the bottle it looks like they mix with de-ionized water. Was just wondering if you mixed with regular water. I know the trim keeps rust to a minimum but after awhile it needs to be thinned out. Is it the same with the Water wetter?

minh-thanh

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies
One more question: Why don't you use the coolant that it normally uses for cars or motorcycles ?
Thanks .

Lofty76

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
I do use the premixed standard car / motorcycle coolant in not only my miniature engines but also my full sized stationary engines, I also use it in my water cooled electric motor on my milling machine. So far no cooling or corrosion problems in any of them.
Docs 'consecrated' coolant might be ok, but only if you are relying on divine guidance for protection :)

minh-thanh

Reaction score
Lofty76 !
Thanks !
I am experimenting with all suggestions
Thanks All !

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
Docs 'consecrated' coolant might be ok, but only if you are relying on divine guidance for protection :)
I am not using TRIM straight it is mixed with water same strength as the coolant I use. Not sure what you mean by your comment?

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Steve do you use the pre mix or do you use the consecrate I see on the bottle it looks like they mix with de-ionized water. Was just wondering if you mixed with regular water. I know the trim keeps rust to a minimum but after awhile it needs to be thinned out. Is it the same with the Water wetter?
I am not using TRIM straight it is mixed with water same strength as the coolant I use. Not sure what you mean by your comment?
Doc, I think it was a little tongue-in-cheek humor based on the way "concentrate" came out in your earlier post - I presume the victim of auto-correct.

Longboy

Reaction score
Pulling a liquid cooled model off the shelf and running for a couple hours out of a year's time, ordinary tap water suffices. Just like the fuel system, you put them back up dry. Conversely, with anti corrosion coolants, can be fill stored long term. The crankcase oil.....takes no side advocating a cooling fluid type or time period!

Lofty76

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Doc, I think it was a little tongue-in-cheek humor based on the way "concentrate" came out in your earlier post - I presume the victim of auto-correct.
It was, sorry, I couldn't resist :)

adjective: consecrated

1. (of a church or land) having been made or declared sacred.
    "a Christian burial in consecrated ground"

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
It was, sorry, I couldn't resist :)

adjective: consecrated

1. (of a church or land) having been made or declared sacred.
    "a Christian burial in consecrated ground"
Yes I went back and re-read my post LOL some times auto correct is a pain lol

Stefan-K

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I prefer using only pure Glycol. I don't like having any water around my Cast Iron liners. Even a 50:50 Mixture with water makes the liners rust. It only takes a bit longer. The cooling capacity is the same as with water or mixtures.

Last edited: