Coolant tubing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustkolector

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have been using .375" OD clear flexible plastic tubing (Ace Hardware) for coolant piping connections. At the desired operating temperature of 150-160F, this flexible tubing takes a set, it loses its grip on the piping, and the connections begin to leak. Are there any good looking small commercial clamps available, or has anyone come up with a method of clamping tubing this size?

Jeff

Do you have any shrink fit? That cut into strips if you have the right size works great.

You will get much better grip and heat resistance using silicone tubing (model engine fuel tubing), you can obtain it in all sizes. As long as there are no sharp edges on your push on pipe spikes. Sharp edges causes it to tear.

Another thing is that it doesn't take on a 'set' like normal plastic tubing.

Bogs

Hi Jeff,
Why not make some hose clamps that look to scale by yourself, they're quite easy.
Turn up some rings of brass or stainless, in your case about .015 smaller inside diameter than your tubing O.D. For .375 I would make them with about a .02 wall. Now make some cylindrical pieces about .135 diameter. Tap one side with a 2-56 thread and drill the other side .094. Now silver solder the 2 pieces together. Once soldered, cleaned up and buffed, if you desire, clamp them lightly in the vise and with slitting saw cut them in half. I have made them for my 4 cylinder and Holt engines and they work and look great.
George

hose clamp 1.jpg

hose clamp 2.jpg

George,
Thats a good looking clamp. I like it. I'll give it a try.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back