coolant dilemma

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right then.... been looking up compressors. there seems to be 3 types out there (not including screw)

you have the normal 2st type engine, direct drive or belt drive. these tend to be the cheaper home workshop type. nearly all of these types tend to be around the 97dB some of the belt drive go down to about 90dB.

the next type are the ones that use fridge compressor units. i have one of theses and yes they are unbelievably quite, but ruddy expensive. my 25lt one cost £395. the one i need for the protect is around the £3000 mark.

the 3rd type i have found sounds perfect for the job. they are relatively cheep and run at 65dB, but there is a notice on all of them "the piston rings must be replaced every 1500 hours of run time" ok, im not going to run it 8 hours a day, but if i did you would have to replace the ring every 6 months (ish)

picked one of ebay just to give you an idea.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/241185-Si...168960?hash=item41a17c8e80:g:MXsAAOSwofxUlEy2

any one know anything about these compressors?

Last edited:
Hi,

Never seen that type before. Interestingly quiet.

It looks like it should supply more than enough air for you.

Dalee

Hi,

Never seen that type before. Interestingly quiet.

It looks like it should supply more than enough air for you.

Dalee

well i bit the bullet last night and nice new compressor should be turning up Tuesday. went for the 50lt one at 7cfm. if toolznthings compressor runs at 3.7cfm then as you say this one should do the job quite well.

been having a look at diy fogbusters and found this one.....
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOENAKiceOw[/ame]

seems like a good design and looking at his other vids works well. so I've taken some parts off the misters i got from ebay, see if i can come up with something.

also went looking for the water filter like he had at local diy places . no joy there then.... what a surprise. found a few on ebay, but they only give the height of them. most of them are 10". how much that will hold i don't know, but ill get one any way.

might have it up and running by next week end.

Hi,

Seems like a good design, I think you will like it. Your foray has pushed me into ordering some parts to make my own unit too. It will be a couple weeks before I can start on it though.

Dale

dont you just love it when new toys turn up and whats more, ordered it Sunday night , so it got here in a day and a bit. cant argue with that.

i'll get it home take some pic and post them up latter. i know its just a compressor and we have all seen one of them........ but NEW TOY!!:D:D:D

turns out two toy turned up today. as well as the compressor the filter also turned up,

got the compressor up and running, well put the wheels on and plugged it in. its not to bad on the noise. they say it's 65dB may be but don't know as i have no way the measure it. sat right next to it while its running you could have a normal chat to someone with out shouting. i think when its tucked away under the mill it will be just a distant hum.

it takes about a minute to fill up and set at 20psi going through an air gun, the compressor will refill the tank quicker then the gun is using it.

20160126_193905.jpg

20160126_194605.jpg

Hi,

That is a nice looking compressor. Glad to hear it's quiet enough. Think of 65db as about as loud as a normal conversation. So it shouldn't be annoying to hear run. I look forward to seeing your system take shape.

I cheated a bit and ordered a dual valve unit off of eBay to use for a low volume mister. I still need to pick up the rest of the necessary parts. Worst part is I will need to do a bit of plumbing to get air into the shop room.

Dale

Dale,

need to get a few bits my self before i can get it up and running, couldn't do anything till the weekend.

so i fixed me mill. since i did the belt mod its always been noisy, just as bad as when it had the gears. turns out the drive thing is bent. must of been like this since new. so i have made a new one (that will do the job for now) now shes whisper quiet, so quite i can hear that annoying frequency noise that motors do when you drive them with a VFD........ yes i know.... never happy.

Last edited:
Hi,

Always something to fix or tune up isn't there. My hearing is about half shot from a lifetime being around machinery. So gear trains and such are hardly noticeable. It's good that you have care for your hearing.

Dale

I dont believe this myself, but i have actually finished a project, well sort of nearly.

first pic should be the whole unit. i did stray from the vid i posted with some of the sizes. he used a 2mm (.080") hole for the air and a 1mm (.040") for the coolant. the only thing i could find for a tube was a bit of carbon fiber 3mm id, 5.4mm od. then made the holes to suit. 2mm/3mm, 1mm /1.5mm.

second pic, main unit. coolant comes in at the top, air comes in from the right.

last.... this is the top of the water filter. air in from the right, oil out on the left and the air for the demister is in the middle next to the 6mm cap head that is there for a very important reason (and when i think of one i will let you know)

running..... it works!!!!!

as you adjust the oil and not the air, air will continue to come out all the time until you turn the air off, i know that sounds a bit obvious, but you need something in place to turn the air of that you can get to.

when running you get splatters of coolant, or if you turn it up you get a spray. not to sure if this was down to what he was using (WD40) and what i was using (good old white stuff) geuss i'll get some WD and give it a go.

haven't worked out a way of mounting it at the mo. i'll have a think about that one.

20160131_195949.jpg

20160131_200018.jpg

20160131_200056.jpg

sorry to drag this thread out again but...........

its been up and running a while now and thought i would give an up date.
if you remember i didn't build my buster to the measurement as in the vid above, as i didn't have the right size brass tube. this turned out to be a bit naff. you could ether get it not working or spraying. it was very hard to get the thing to do that sputting thing like in the vid. you would think its working then the cutter gets gummed up, then snaps.

so i ordered some right size brass and rebuilt it. now it 100% works.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHgUcrS1v8[/ame]

at the mo i have it running on WD40, the other weekend i was running a load of parts over 8 hours or so, the amount of WD40 it used isn't worth worrying about. the parts seemed to have a better finish and the cutters lasted a lot longer.

as for the compressor......

it's a 50lt 7cfm @65dB. from a fully charged compressor and the buster running @15psi. the compressor will turn back on after 4 ish minute and will take just under a minute to fill back up.

hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back