Cooked stepper controller

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiev

Reaction score
Just hooked up a stepper controller to 3 motors and everything was working great. Then suddenly a puff of smoke. One of the chips cooked. Does anyone know who repairs these units. It's TB6560.
Tia
Herbie

Herbie, I had the same problem with 2 different TB6560 3 axis boards, found it less cost to replace the faulty channel with a single axis controller, seems some people with the knowledge have carried out repairs but these boards don't get very good reviews from users.
Emgee

Just hooked up a stepper controller to 3 motors and everything was working great. Then suddenly a puff of smoke. One of the chips cooked. Does anyone know who repairs these units. It's TB6560.

Tia

Herbie

I can't help you with a lead on repairs. I suspect that the cost would be more than the drive is worth.

Look at this as incentive to implement a driver per axis solution. As has been mentioned these drives have a terrible reputation.

4 years daily use TB6560 and the same problems I had in the beginning. From by CNC Zone fix TB6560 and max. voltage 28V all works great. Already on 30V is a great opportunity to burn drivers.

Tia
Herbie

It's fairly simple repair and cheap. I did quite a few for myself then change setup.
#1 get a couple of chip
#2 cut all the leed
#3 remove the soldered pins and clean with dry wick
#4 install new chip align all pins and solder them but in random order
not to over heat your chip.
These chip will fry if the suplied voltage for the stepper is on Before the 5volts ttl
or you can build or buy one of those buldozer
http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/THB6064/index.htm

here are a few pics of my 4axis board with the module

DSCF2896.jpg

DSCF2898.jpg

DSCF2921.jpg

DSCF2890.jpg

Thanks all for the replies. As my eyesight and soldering are poor I shall just buy a single control unit as suggested.
Thanks for the pics Luc.

Latest posts

Back