Converting dfx files to. nc

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
Hoping for some help, I've got a little project on the go.
Downloaded some free software to generate tool paths but it can only write in dxf format. Problem is my Haas VF3 only seems to be able to read .nc files.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi Darren,

DXF's are vector drawings (such as Visio, AutoCAD, etc), whereas .nc files are ASCII text files containing the actual G-Code. What you'd normally do is use a program such as Aspire or similar, and import the DXF containing the raw objects and dimensions, you then need to generate the appropriate depth of cut info and toolpaths from that. Saving the toolpath using one of the built-in post-processors to create the .nc file. What software are you using?

cheers, Ian

First of all free programs are only for demos and not full function software.
outputting a dxf this sounds like a cad or drawing program.

G code can be written with a basic text editor so no mystery there.
your cnc machine any cnc machine needs g code.

the second way to generate G code is with a CAM program such as Cam BAM you can try this for free and something like $150 to licence.

the third technology slowly reaching the hobby market but in use by industry for years is conversational programming such as the new MACH mill wizard.

Try before you buy but cripple ware you can play with it but it will not generate G code until you licence it for $75 IMHO very reasonable for what it does this is a stand alone program that generates G code.
The way conversational programming works is you select a couple global functions for the part like the metal and units you are using. then you pick basic machining operations from a menu like machining a square pocket or drilling a bolt circle, then you fill in the blanks . The program generates g code.

The problem with G-Code is while there are standards and common language usage each machine controller has its own needs or uses its own style of g code. so when you use a program like cam bam or wizards you need to go though a post processor. the PP is a sub program that take the g code generated by the program and modifies or tweaks it to your machine controller. Thes PP are part of the above programs so make sure the program you use or are trying to use has a PP for Haas VF3.

Hope this helps
tin
PS not a cnc expert so others may have some more specific tried and true method of programming your Haas.

Hi Darren,

I use Sheetcam to convert .dxf files to g code for my prototrak MX2. Its a great program from
Stable Design
The Stables
57 old Town
Bideford
Devon
EX39 3BH
United Kingdom.
Its cost £110 (UK pounds) go to http://www.sheetcam.com/downloads.shtml and give it a try. Its also has a post processor for your
Hass VF3

Bill

What generation is your Haas control?

You can import dxf and use the conversational to generate tool. The hardest part will be setting depth of cut and cutter comp.

Send me a picture of your control, I'll tell you where to go.

Sorry, should have explained myself better.

Can't remember what the software is that I downloaded and don't have it here at home. It's for an art project. Converts a jpeg into G-code.

It generates tool paths and depths of cuts and produces the G-code. My last program is 9000 lines long!

I can save the G-code program as either dxf or txt and can view it in note pad.

As this is probably going to be a one off just for fun, I don't want to spend any money.

My machine has the Haas control Fanuc, not sure of the controller model (doesn't say on the machine) it was made in 2001 and has a floppy disc drive on the side. I was going to upload the program using the Disc drive as we've had loads of problems connecting it to our PC'S.

Hope this is a bit clearer.

Well i hate to just call shennanigans but Haas is not Fanuc. It's straight up Haas. They've always made thier own control. However it will run ISO/Fanuc standard G code. I don't think that control supports dxf import.

Vcarve by Vectric sounds like the software your talking about. If you want to just run it then export in gcode, not dxf.

if you have the G code then just change the file extension to .nc and it should be fine.
Tin

Not all nc files are the same!!

I have a 2m x 3m router at work and use Draftsight as the cad and vcarve or cam bam as the cam processor. I had a lot of problems getting the router to behave. Both vcarve and Cam bam give a lot of file types to save as and only trial and error found the right one.

Back