Convert a mini mill at CNC workshop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonGinger

Reaction score
Ok, the details are mostly work out and the official announcement is on the HomeShop Machinist web site, see http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=46691

The short version is that we have made a group purchase deal with Little Machine Shop for 10 of their new high torque mini mills, and with CNCfusion for their ballscrew conversion kits. We also have all the electronics, stepper motors, smoothstepper, gecko540 etc and the Mach3 software.

We have limited it to 10 students, and at least 3 are already signed up. You will get the entire kit of parts, registration at the CNC workshop for all 4 days and all events, for less than the street price of the parts. You will only pay for shipping from the workshop to your home- free if you drive to the workshop and take it home with you.

We will have a formal class each day to work on the machine, then you will have time to attend any of the seminars, or visit the exhibits. By the last day your machine will be running, tested, and ready to make parts.

Brian Barker will lead the day on installing and running Mach, so you cant get any closer to the horses mouth than that.

For all the details see the HomeShop web site. There is reasonable hosing, even dorm rooms.

Im ready to go but its to far to go. I hope if it goes well you might come and have one around the area and time of cabin fever.

Dave

Thanks for the info . I would probably do well to be involved in that. doing a cnc build virtually alone. (Not that there is not net support or support at shows). is a bit of a daunting task.
I see George put a figure together for the class.
A bit more than I want to put out especially since i Have an almost built x-2 conversion I may add the ball screws and a smooth stepper. at some point.
Tin

Ron,
Do you have any photos and or video of the HiTorque mill you built up for the seminar.

DAve

Not yet, but I hope to post some in the next day or two. It is working quite well, and I think people will be impressed.

Im working on the CAD tonight for some kind of demo piece, I think a name plate for the machine. Ill cut it and make a video.

Ron, That would be great . I would love to see it. Im close to my goal for a cnc mill and that might be what I want. I want an R8 in a small machine,

Dave

Dave you may want to take a look at the east coast version of that machine.
http://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-High-Precision-Heavy-Duty-R8-Miniature-Milling-Machine,9616.html
Micromark is in Berkley heights NJ not too terribly far from the Edison Laboratory NHS (large line shaft Driven Machine shop on display)
I did the edison lab trip about 10 years ago then a side trip to micromark to buy my mill. The show room at the time was not large but they did have a mini lathe and mini mill and accessories on display and you could see the product and turn the handles. Looks like the mill comes in two crates now for easy transport. or UPS delivery.
The Edison Museum is about. 2 1/2 hors from you.
Grizzly is only a bit further at about 3 hours away but they do not seem to be offering the x-2 in r 8 anymore.
Tin

Latest posts

Back