Constraints/Dimensions or No Constraints/Dimensions in 3D Modeling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt there are many hobby users that could afford eitherđź’°
I understand. However, I managed to get a copty of version 6 20 years ago. It was very advanced in that time period for anything I many have needed, or needs now. However, as nice as it is, it will not run on modern versions of computers. I had it and used it up to about msux ver. 8. IMNSHO, Inventor is the best. Wish it were affordable, don't know what the later versions are like, however.

A quick check on the Autodesk site, it seems that they have a yearly fee, but it is not clear if there is an initial one-time fee too?
Perhaps not.
The yearly fees are steep for hobby work.

Alibre seems to be about the best bang for the buck, and is very capable.
I have seen Alibre 3D models that look better than Solidworks, and so I consider the programs pretty much on par with each other, with Alibre being about 1/10th the cost of Solidworks.

SW has a Maker version. Lightly discussed elsewhere on the forum. I really wish someone who used the full version & now uses Maker could give a definitive writeup of impressions. I'm curious.

https://discover.solidworks.com/3de...ontent=DM48291&RCid=@F8j7S+l6oE0l9et55Xljjw==
Solid Edge has what appears to be a similar less expensive offering called Community. Also lightly discussed elsewhere on forum. From what little I've see, looks similar to SW

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/plmapp/education/solid-edge/en_us/free-software/community
I don't know if AutoDesk Inventor has gone this (pick your acronym: Maker/Community/Hobbyist/Cloud..) route or just put all their hobbyist eggs into Fusion-360 basket which does have a reduced cost version

I have seen Alibre 3D models that look better than Solidworks, and so I consider the programs pretty much on par with each other, with Alibre being about 1/10th the cost of Solidworks.
This is highly subjective & you need to define 'good'. If you saw 2 identical models side by side using identical monitor display equipment, GC, matched settings between the 2 apps in terms of any material selections, internal lighting orientation, colors, background settings, shadow modes... etc. you might be a step closer to be able to say A is better than B.

But there is a secondary process, generally once the 3D model is complete, loosely called 'rendering' which has even many more features & controls to generate higher quality photorealism. I think SW is called Visualize & associated with their higher cost Pro version but not sure. Generally way outside what a hobbyist would ever do or require because added cost & rendering chews on GC/CPU processing. But rendering is done in industrial applications where it makes differences. Some CAD operators just export the basic models to different 3rd party rendering app depending on the requirements, somewhat analogous to CAM may or may not be integrated with CAD model, plug-in at added cost or not at all.

If a CAD vendor wanted to make their software look good for sales purposes, they would probably render some examples & post/publish to prospective buyers. But this may or may not be what the model does during its regular work day.

From the link above:

7. What’s the difference between SOLIDWORKS Desktop and 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS?

3D
EXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS has the same awesome, industry-leading functionality, features, and tools as desktop SOLIDWORKS Professional, but it leverages cloud data management. You can save all your design data to our secure cloud and easily share and connect with other makers. Please note, commercial products and Add-Ins are not supported or included with this version of 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers.

8. Are my files or data restricted at all?

Files and data created with your Maker account are digitally watermarked and can only be opened up in another Maker platform. You cannot open up files created with your Maker account within a commercial or academic platform. This digital watermark is added to native 3D file formats, such as .3dxml, .sldprt, .sldasm, and .slddrw. Neutral 3D file formats, such as .stp or .iges can be opened on any platform.

Here is some information about it.
It sort of looks like the full blown SW package, at a glance anyway, but in the clouds.

I am not into the cloud stuff, and won't be doing that for any program (I hope), but this could be an economical option for many.

I think the 3D software companies realize that today's makers may be tomorrow's 3D designers, and so the larger you can grow your user base, the better you chances of survival are.

I think Alibre has caused the other companies to take notice and respond.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-10-29 6.09.08 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-10-29 6.09.08 PM.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3
LOL, there is no reason to make a large investment in a 3D modeling program.
Alibre is more than capable of doing anything that Solidworks can do, best I can tell.

If you plan on designing a refinery, perhaps consider Solidworks.

LOL, there is no reason to make a large investment in a 3D modeling program.
Alibre is more than capable of doing anything that Solidworks can do, best I can tell.

If you plan on designing a refinery, perhaps consider Solidworks.
As much as I like Alibre, there's a reason it's a $1500 program, not a $5000 program, it doesn't have a capability to produce surfaces and a few other things but yes, as far as I can see, it will do almost anything most modellers, miniature engine builders or hobbyists will need. SW is a 'better'/more advanced program but like Microsoft Word, 99% of the users will not use 99% of the capabilities.

As peter says a lot of the look of a 3D model will depend on how the individual uses the software and presents the final item. One could say the F360 image shows a "better" model than the Alibre image but in reality F360 was just used to render an imported Alibre step file as Keyshot is too spendy for me.

midget%20render_zpsjrxwzvji.jpg

midget3d_zpshbhgwqja.jpg

The rendering options that some programs have put a lot of icing on the cake.
I don't have rendering in SW that I am aware of; perhaps it is there, but I seem to recall it was an add-on.

A good rendering really makes a 3D model snap visually.
It becomes very photorealistic.

All this noise about SW. Doesn't anyone have some noise about Inventor?
I have a long history of professional CAD use, starting in the early 1980's, after years of pencil drafting. Used multiple 2D systems (Cadam, Intergraph, Microstation, Anvil 1000 MD, Autocad, and . By far I loved Anvil 1000 MD best of all for 2D! Hated Autocad after using Anvil for years. Having spent years on drafting boards, Anvil worked best. After many years of 2D, I got into 3D modeling. First with SolidEdge, liked it. Next company I worked for used Inventor. Since I had a blinding hatred of Autocad, was worried about using Inventor. Very quickly found it worked extremely well, so grew to love it. We were working on a big project with another company that used Solidworks, so we had to learn that. After a year or so on that project I definitely liked Inventor much better! Retired now, and I have Solidworks 2020 at home. Would much rather have Inventor, but Autodesk has insured that hobbiests cannot use it with their Subscription only system! I purchased 2020 SolidWorks perpetual license, but one can no longer get a perpetual license of Inventor. Keep paying the subscription fees or lose everything! So, after a few years of using Inventor, and no longer able too, I hate Autodesk again!

I purchased a copy (or maybe it was a trial version) of Microstation, and could not use it to even draw a line.
I have no idea how that program works, and was never able to do anything with it.

I have heard some good things about Inventor.

I too purchased Solidworks because it was a one-time fee, and no yearly renewal fees.

I used Versacad for a while. It did not have XREF's, but was otherwise a polished 2D program.

I will have to look up Cadam, Intergraph, and Anvil.
I am not familiar with those.

As peter says a lot of the look of a 3D model will depend on how the individual uses the software and presents the final item. One could say the F360 image shows a "better" model than the Alibre image but in reality F360 was just used to render an imported Alibre step file as Keyshot is too spendy for me.
Keyshot is included with Alibre Expert, current price, $1399

I don't have rendering in SW that I am aware of; perhaps it is there, but I seem to recall it was an add-on.
SW base version includes many options under Appearances & Scenes that allow you lets call it 'rendering lite' options - backgrounds, lighting orientation which affect shadows... And of course defining the part materials like aluminum vs steel vs shiny plastic vs... will flow through to the look (and seamlessly factor into engineering properties like weight, center of mass etc.).

I'm not sure if mid level or top level version includes full blown rendering add on. Like FEA simulation add-on, likely way outside the scope of weekend warriors. My 3D screen grabs show 'ordinary' modelling environment vs just a few appearance options toggled showing rudimentary shadows.

Attachments

• EDT-2022-10-30 11.28.24 AM.jpg
    EDT-2022-10-30 11.28.24 AM.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 3
  • SNAG-2022-10-30 11.24.58 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-10-30 11.24.58 AM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1
  • SNAG-2022-10-30 11.27.24 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-10-30 11.27.24 AM.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
I wanted a nice rendering option when I purchased a 3D program, but in hindsight, for me it is better to focus on the final product (castings), and not get too involved in the visual aspects of the 3D model.
Those photorealistic renderings do look good though.

I try and add a few highlights with various colors.

I purchased a copy (or maybe it was a trial version) of Microstation, and could not use it to even draw a line.
I have no idea how that program works, and was never able to do anything with it.

I have heard some good things about Inventor.

I too purchased Solidworks because it was a one-time fee, and no yearly renewal fees.

I used Versacad for a while. It did not have XREF's, but was otherwise a polished 2D program.

I will have to look up Cadam, Intergraph, and Anvil.
I am not familiar with those.

Cadam was a LONG time ago, very difficult 2D. I used Intergraph for some time decades ago, it was 2D mainframe system running on a Vax computer, with a two screen large tablet work station. Anvil 1000MD 2D is still around. Since I have used 3D for about 20 years now, would really hate to have to do ANYTHING in 2D now! I would still pick Anvil 1000MD for 2D though.

Latest posts

Back