Concrete counter tops??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great improvement!

It's true that concrete composition is quite critical for structural building purposes, but too many people over-complicate it for this kind of application. All you essentially require is a solid block to fix your machine to - doesn't even need to support it's own mass if it's on a bench like yours, all it has to do is hold itself together and withstand being drilled for fixings. Clearly, yours does that very well.

Thanks Peter!

It has a lattice of 1/2 inch rebar towards the bottom of the mass.
Should keep it in check! ;D

Andrew

The satisfaction of getting a machine running the way you think it should be is second to none. Congratulations!

There's nothing wrong with the tool post he has? The only thing I see, and can't say if it's a problem or not. If at all possible while machining keep the compound retracted so it doesn't overhang. I've had more problems with that, than QCTP.

I think the mass is the main reason larger machines are better for our hobby work. Sure some larger machines are actually quite a bit better than some smaller machines, but a lot of things come together to make nice parts.

I made a concrete column for a small CNC mill. I've been running it since '06.

Greg

Good going Andrew Thm:; that block will stabilize the ML7 nicely. It should run nice and quiet as well. Mine is on a factory made cabinet, and while that is very nice, the cabinet does act like a kind of sound-box and magnifies the lathe's motor sound.

Nothing wrong with the QCTP on the top slide IMHO; like Greg said, just position the top slide to leave less overhang. Once you start to make chips on different parts of different material with with different tools, you'll really appreciate the QCTP for exactly what it is - a quick-change tool post. (BTW, you'll never have enough tool holders!) I tend to adjust the topslide on the slightly "tight" side to eliminate free play on it - and I just use one of its screws to lock it down for heavy operations.

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks for all the help. info and responses!!!

I am still working away to complete the final touches on the bench!
This is my latest addition, a tool storage solution behind the lathe.
Freshly painted waiting for holes!
P1020783.jpg

Now installed behind the lathe with some tooling!
P1020784.jpg

When the new mill arrives and is set up i want to mill some holders for the QCTP holders.
They will be out of aluminium and i will screw them onto the face of the top.

Still trying to decide if i want to make some posts and mount all the change gears on it as well.
For now they just sit covered in a box.
I guess i could also have them on the side of the bench...

With the South Bend having more tooling available at better prices i do not foresee myself fully kitting out the Myford.
But who knows!!! ;D

Any ideas or comments welcomed!

Andrew

Hello Andrew

Looks very nice indeed
You are fitting a spantray between lathe and concrete.
It is also possible to have lathe on concrete on spantray.
Then You can enjoy the nice polished surface.
More important is that it will then be smart to reduce length and width of concrete block and increase height.
Same amount of concrete will give even more stiffness between the bolt holes and that is what counts

Niels

Back