Compressor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

Some of you may remember this compressor I built back in December 2007. Its in the tools section if anyone wants to take another look.

DSC06147.jpg

Its served me well so far but I decided to fit a bigger tank to increase the amount of available air. I quickly 'acquired' another larger fire extinguisher and was putting it in the boot of my car at work when a customer asked what I was up to. A brief explanation followed. He then said I've got one of those in my shed, it doesn't work but you can have it if you want. I never turn down anything free but you can imagine my surprise when he turned up with a small compressor. It was in a bit of a state. A broken plug, a broken air pipe to the automatic cut off and the air filter broken off. Anyway I fitted a new plug and repaired the pipe, plugged it in and away it went. They are noisy little devils though. I know a couple of people who have them and they have commented how noisy they are. Well I stripped it down and gave the tank a coat of paint to clean it up a bit.

DSC08038.jpg

DSC08039.jpg

The last thing it neded was an air cleaner so I brought one home from work (motor trade) and cut it down a bit.

DSC08046.jpg

DSC08048.jpg

I found a brass water fitting the right thread and a couple of big washers.

DSC08049.jpg

Then coated the raw paper edge with silicon and stuck a piece of foam rubber on.

DSC08050.jpg

DSC08052.jpg

And the point to all this is I can hear you all saying. Well the point is, with the new larger air filter fitted the compressor is noticeably quieter. Maybe it acts like a silencer in reverse. I'm sure there is a technical answer. As for the bigger fire extinguisher Julians got it now. He's going to mount 2 fridge pumps on it to give twice the amount of air. Should be interesting.

Cheers

Rich

Nice.
Don't know why it is but these direct drives are bloody noisy.
When we packed the truck garage up in 1990 we had a big Ingersol Rand twin, nice compressor capable of running up to 1" drive impact wrenches but too big for home use.

I managed to sell it to a local garage if I bought their direct drive machine off them which wasn't big enough.
What a noisy bloody thing, it was Ok to run up first thing in the morning and have a full tank all day but when I got the big CNC which had air clutches and tool change it could have been a problem with neighbours.

I then got a hydrovane because of the noise, it's been a brilliant compressor, it's just starting to pass oil thru a bit and requires a service kit but not bad for about 8 years constant use.

JS.

Latest posts

Back